So.... SSD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
I'm dealing with a failing hard drive (WD1501FASS 1.5tb) and considering replacing with an SSD down the road when it does finally die. As we all well know, $/gb sucks with SSD's. Is there any discussion about buying say (2) 120gb drives and running in RAID 0 for $250 as opposed to getting one single 256gb drive for $300+?

I'm not concerned about storage space as I have plenty of other drives (internal and external) I can use for archiving, storage, or what have you, but with all of my regularly used apps, with no "extras" like music, video, etc, my system has ~200gb used up. Obviously that wont work on a 120gb SSD. I have no problems storing my music, pictures, etc externally or on a HDD, but curious what the thoughts are concerning RAID 0 for at least some resolution to $/gb.

Am I crazy?

Honestly, I would go with the SSD. The prices for them have remained constant and even dropped some while platter drives have gone skyhigh.

Even running RAID0 you would be moving slower than running a decent SSD, and you would run double risk for a failed dive.

I missed that part. No, I would go with a single SSD.

I use a smaller SSD for my OS and main programs, and then use a mechanical for data and other programs. It works well that way.

Mine is more like 60GB OS, 250GB apps, 750GB data, 1TB media (so far).

I agree with Master and Trotter. The speed increase will be minor. I know that you are just mainly concerned about the cost, but I thought that I would add that little bit. Also, is trim globally supported in 0 arrays yet? I don't think that it is, but I'm not 100%. So, if it isn't supported yet, then you can balance that extra $50 cost out with the loss of life on the 2 drives. Since the drives are pretty expensive to begin with for most people, I think that you will probably find it more practical to just go with the single drive. Especially since you aren't really seeking the real benefits of a 0 array in the first place.

And yes, you are crazy.

Crazy awesome

From what I can see, TRIM is supported with Raid0 now on all newer drives.

I'll probably end up just getting one drive, but was just curious what most people do... I've never had the need to install apps or store data on other drives... I've always just kept a huge main drive and extras were for large projects or something.

Any suggestions for a drive that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of cash? It's not really a huge deal but... 300 for a hard drive is insane considering i built my entire PC for 450.

And yes... I am quite awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom