Low Latency, the lie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
4W4K3 said:
Know a guy named Caleb? he goes to Devry in Texas. 2000 is indeed old and Microsoft will stop updating it in a few months, get ready for system holes and no patches my friend. 2000 has many bugs that will go unfixed...XP has problems yes, but it is fully supported and updated constintely. I would prefer an updated OS over one that will be left to the dogs. Might i add you said you do not overclock, of course you do not crash. I overclock the snot out of my machine and reboots are expected. The main issue will be viruses/hacking..i have been on my home network for i think 7 yrs. now and never once been "attacked", that's all i care about since i kow my system is going to crash while i test it's overclocking ability. i guarantee you your 2000 based machine will crash if you set it at 200*10 trying to overclock it. and if i try 300*10 mine will crash...OS has nothing to do with overclocking/hardware overclocking.

You do know SP5 is in the works for Windows 2000? No they will NOT drop it from support. How many companies do you know that will switch from a business OS to a Home OS??!?!

Windows 2000 is a corporate operating system, Windows XP is NOT!

So you just stated that the OS has nothing to do with overclockability. Yet you say if I have Windows 2000 it won't be able to overclock as well?

What your telling me is.. Windows XP is more secure than Windows 2000? Right, Win2k only has SP4 out.. What is XP up to? OH yeah problematic SP2.

So now you state that you overclock? Hmm, I wonder why you out did my system on arithmetic?

I fix PC's all the time.. Windows Xp has more problems that you would like to believe. How many times does your Windows XP system crash? I will tell you mine DOESN'T.

BTW- My major is Computer Network System's. I have already done CISCO training..

4W4K3, You apparently do not care for stability in an operating system if you overclock the hell out of your system to the point where it reboots, and freezes at random. Meh, I do suppose your correct, in a battle between a few extra clock cycles and system stability... the speed CLEARLY wins. Lol... I guess your computer is just... "Left to the dogs".

ChaosBlizzard said:
Your system is not faster.. There you go again. Basing everything off MHz. There are other things in this world that affect the speed of a CPU! Such as but no limited to cache, IPC, bus, core clock, programming.

"Yours can handle 12 and mine does 9....but you forget AMD is more efficient than Intel processing wise" - Where do you think they go the efficiency from?!?! I will give you a sudden clue.. It has to do with IPC!

Your right, those test's benefit from SMP. In much the same manor as NORMAL SYSTEM OPERATION. The system is always processing two threads.. Not once will it only take on one! That does increase performance. No matter how you look at it SMP is more efficient.

Don't believe me? Go on the internet and read some more.

I am not taking this personally. I just fail to realize how someone who refuses to read can write so much and not know how it works. I have been building computer for 6 years. I know go to a tech school.

your 6 years of experience and campus you intend do not automatically make you correct. and i know i can also find threads online that will argue against you. the internet is not the best source of info as you and me both know. i'm not saying "you're wrong" but just googling this info will give me 100 different opinions, and you expect me to jsut assume you are the ultimate truth? i'm debating bcuz i DON'T know it all...and so far i have yet to be proven otherwise about my opinion. you know you're tuff...better than i do, but that doesn't mean i will jsut accept what you say.

if your system is "faster" than mine then why do i score better in the same bench? And why do you beat me in a diff bench? (i know "why" i'm just making a statement. you said SMP and ICP which i understand now) This is why i suggest a different benchmark...one that has a single purpose and will give me a straight answer.

i do read, i have read all the links you posted and i have read your posts over many times. i just feel there are too many questions i have still that have gone unanswered for me to draw a definite conclusion. i have no problem admitting i was wrong and indeed your older P3 system is "better" than my XP machine as a whole. I love learning, especially when the information is debated.

ChaosBlizzard said:
You do know SP5 is in the works for Windows 2000? No they will NOT drop it from support. How many companies do you know that will switch from a business OS to a Home OS??!?!

Windows 2000 is a corporate operating system, Windows XP is NOT!

So you just stated that the OS has nothing to do with overclockability. Yet you say if I have Windows 2000 it won't be able to overclock as well?

What your telling me is.. Windows XP is more secure than Windows 2000? Right, Win2k only has SP4 out.. What is XP up to? OH yeah problematic SP2.

So now you state that you overclock? Hmm, I wonder why you out did my system on arithmetic?

I fix PC's all the time.. Windows Xp has more problems that you would like to believe. How many times does your Windows XP system crash? I will tell you mine DOESN'T.

BTW- My major is Computer Network System's. I have already done CISCO training..

Windows XP 2003 is the answer to alot of your statements. It is used incompanies world wide and preferred over 2000. I have 0 issues with SP2...been running it for months now. I dont see how MORE SP's make it more stable..that just means it has more problems and needs more patching.

I said i crash when i take my PC to it's limits...did i say it crashes at 2.6ghz? no. it will however crash when i punch in a crazy # like 300*10 accidentally. My point was that no matter what OS you use they all have the ability to crash, and if i was to run stock i as well would NEVER crash. But i found that my computer's max stability speed is 2.6ghz and i can prime/sandra/benchmark for days on end without receiiviing a single error. let's not forget memtest86 either...runs fine.

you fix computers...which means you work on computers that are not maintained and not taken care of. If you came in my house you would find all 15 computers running 100% stability on XP Professional SP2 with latest updates and 0 viruses. My dad happens to be a LAN Manager at Fidelity Investments and has worked with computer since the very beginning. He has taught me alot and knows how to run a network and keep computer working, just like you do. I have no doubt you 2 would have alot in common.

Your system is faster with that one test because you FORCED your CPU to run at a speed much higher than its rated for..

No your right.. What is education?? I only work with the stuff you read about..

I am not going to bother to argue further.. You said it yourself, you just learned what IPC means. I hope so anyway.

What you need to do is build a few more systems for experience.

That's great, you can find thread's that go against me. I can also feed the dancing monkey down the street for a quarter.

Your right, your arguing your OPINION.

Also, how do you say my system might be "better" with quotes other than conveying it's garbage?

I don't think you will change your non-backed views. You seem to do a fine job of posting information you JUST learned.

4W4K3 said:
Windows XP 2003 is the answer to alot of your statements. It is used incompanies world wide and preferred over 2000. I have 0 issues with SP2...been running it for months now. I dont see how MORE SP's make it more stable..that just means it has more problems and needs more patching.

I said i crash when i take my PC to it's limits...did i say it crashes at 2.6ghz? no. it will however crash when i punch in a crazy # like 300*10 accidentally. My point was that no matter what OS you use they all have the ability to crash, and if i was to run stock i as well would NEVER crash. But i found that my computer's max stability speed is 2.6ghz and i can prime/sandra/benchmark for days on end without receiiviing a single error. let's not forget memtest86 either...runs fine.

you fix computers...which means you work on computers that are not maintained and not taken care of. If you came in my house you would find all 15 computers running 100% stability on XP Professional SP2 with latest updates and 0 viruses. My dad happens to be a LAN Manager at Fidelity Investments and has worked with computer since the very beginning. He has taught me alot and knows how to run a network and keep computer working, just like you do. I have no doubt you 2 would have alot in common.

No Windows 2003 is not the answer.. That is nothing more than Windows XP with a make over. There aren't many companies switching to it. Why change over to something that works fine. Companies don't tweak things. If it's fine, they leave it alone!

Yes, I fix computers. Which means I know how they work. If I get more Windows XP machines in with problems than any other OS.. Hmm, I wonder what this means??

Memtest86 is irrelevant to total system stability. That will only test your memory. Your system is in a completely different state when running Windows than when emulating a DOS environment. When in Windows you put stress on the entire system, not just the memory.

Also, take a look at Windows NT, and Windows 2000. Windows NT has SP6a out! Windows 2000 has SP4 out with SP5 in the making.. Windows XP has SP2 out.. Do you see a trend? All that means is that Windows XP has MANY undiscovered bugs that will eventually be fixed.. I would rather run the OS that has already been worked on!

ChaosBlizzard said:
Your system is faster with that one test because you FORCED your CPU to run at a speed much higher than its rated for..

No your right.. What is education?? I only work with the stuff you read about..

I am not going to bother to argue further.. You said it yourself, you just learned what IPC means. I hope so anyway.

What you need to do is build a few more systems for experience.

That's great, you can find thread's that go against me. I can also feed the dancing monkey down the street for a quarter.

Your right, your arguing your OPINION.

Also, how do you say my system might be "better" with quotes other than conveying it's garbage?

I don't think you will change your non-backed views. You seem to do a fine job of posting information you JUST learned.

so you think personal attacks will convince me? i'm not impressed. i said your computer is "better" than min because it only beat mine in 1 test...1. that's not FACT...that's a single test.

education is worthless if you are going to sit here and personally attack me and expect me to just accept it. you seem to be very competitive and can't simply accept the fact i'm stating what i know and seeing if you can tell me im wrong. so far you've gotten about 60% there.

should i not use the info i JUST learned? is there a waiting period b4 i can use my recently learned information?

i don't think we can discuss this further without you being mean to me. i simply am not convinced your entire system is better than mine due to one test result, your vast itt-tech knowledge, and a couple cruel words thrown out there.

I will be happy to say that your computer is perfectly acceptable, has nicer hardware than mine in certain areas, and can beat mine in a couple benchmarks. I also do not doubt you know what you are talking about and have built more computers than i have. You gave textual evidence and decent arguments that proved me wrong in many areas. But i still have questions that went unanswered and it seems that you don't want to answer them, that's perfectly alright. I'll be glad to research them further and maybe i can discuss it with you later whan i aquire more knowledge.

I'm going to bed...so i won't be talking anymore lol. Sorry if i offended anyone...i guess debating here wan't the best idea. My apologies to Chaos Blizzard for seeming "n00b" but maybe another forum is a good idea for me...

You are talking incoherently about things you just learned.

What questions did you ask that I didn't answer? I don't recall any. I am always responding to two of the your threads.

Education is worth a lot. But that's just it.. Your not using information you just learned.. You seem to be defaulting on the information you came in here with.

When ever you learn more, and or have any questions you can contact me.

As for the cruel words.. I don't see any. I am using lot's of my text in the form of sarcasm. I do that to put my point accross better.

You are simply taking my text wrong, as you are with some information you read on Google. Learning has to do more with comprehension that anything else. It doesn't do you any good to read something and not understand it correctly.

I don't mind a n00b. I use to be one.. But you really should read more so your more adapt to take on these kinds of threads.

Amazon has a great book called "Upgrading and repairing PCs 16th/e"

I didn't get all this information on how system's work by sticking to once source. If you search on Google and fine more than a few sources stating the same thing, chances are the information is sound.

Why are you so afraid (blizzard) to just try Super_pi. It is a very popular CPU/Ram benchmark. Its very small and completes in under 1min (on decent systems). I am curious as to what both of your scores would be. I think my best was 41secs on the 1M test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom