Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what you're using it for.

9/10 times I'll say 960T, which has the possibility of unlocking to a 6-core CPU.
A lot of this may be hype, but the 960T should have a better memory controller, run cooler, and overclock higher.

Gaming and general computing.

Is there any info that shows the 960T is faster? Just looking at the specs on Newegg it looks like the fx 6100 is faster

I am horribly indecisive and I keep second-guessing myself.

Help With CPU Please

Im stuck on 2 different processors for my build.

1. Micro Center - AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition 3GHz Quad Core Socket AM3 Boxed Processor 186932

and

2. Micro Center - AMD FX 6100 Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor 921304

According to Game Requirements Checker this site the FX 6100 is better for gaming (both being good enough for anything else I plan on doing). Does anyone know if this site is reputable or if there is another site I can look at?

Hmm, found the benchmarks I remembered, apparently got the wrong CPU though.
This is stock 960T (X4) 3.0GHz vs stock FX-4100 3.6GHz vs unlocked/overclocked 960T (X6) 3.6GHz:
960T Vs. FX4100

Going just off the numbers on the product page the FX-4100 3.6GHz should beat a 3.0GHz 960T, but its not always that simple.
For gaming and general computing you probably won't be utilizing 6 cores anyway, unless general computing consists of video editing/rendering.

Re: Help With CPU Please

i generally stick with newegg for all my purchases. i don't know if that is a reputable site.

go with the phenom II x4. you wont utilize the extra 2 cores in the fx 6100 if you are gaming primarily. save your money for a better gpu.

Microcenter is fine to buy from, and in general will have lower prices on cpu's.

I ordered stuff through Amazon that was sold by Micro Center. They're not bad at all. For me (and a couple of other buddes), a general rule of thumb when it comes to tech is go one set lower (ex. when the 500 series GPUs came out from NVidia, I got a GTX 460 SE). It saves on price, and by the time the new stuff comes out, the set before it will have its bugs tweaked out through driver support. In this case, go with the Phenom II x4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom