My First True Build - MSI P67-GD55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelphrin

Solid State Member
Hello everyone! I was just looking around different forums, and found that this one offers a lot of advice. My first real tinkering around with builds was upgrading a Dell XPS 410 (2007).

Dell XPS 410 - Zelphrin
MoBo - Intel Chipset P965 Standard ATX/BTX
CPU - MP626 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, G0
Memory - 2GB (Upgraded to 4GB Kingston)
Hard Drive - Seagate 500GB 5400 RPM 16MB Cache
Video Card - NVidia GeForce 8600 GT (Upgraded to Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB)
Power Supply - 375W (Upgraded to RaidMax 650W)
Sound Card - Soundblaster XF-i Extreme
OS - Windows XP Professional 32-bit (Upgraded to Windows 7 Home 32-Bit)

I'm ready to upgrade this tower again here in a few months. The next upgrades are probably going to be Full MoBo build including memory and CPU. However, this isn't the reason for this post. My wife's old tower is an excessively old Intel Pentium 5 system. The tower, itself, is actually large enough with the ATX build, so upgrading the tower won't be a problem. For some strange reason, there's two docks for Hard Drives and a buttload of PCI slots in the back. Well, here goes the new build. I won't even bother telling you what's being upgraded since it's so old. I'll give you a hint... 20GB Hard Drive... that should say it all.

Old Dog, New Tricks - Excella
MoBo - MSI P67-GD55 1155 Socket
CPU - Intel Core i5 2400k 3.1 GHz
Memory - Corsair XMS3 16GB (four 4GB modules)
Solid State Drive - Patriot Torqx 2 64GB
Hard Drive - Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Video Card - PNY GeForce 560 Ti
Power Supply - Apevia Iceberg 680W
Sound Card - Soundblaster Titanium HD Fatal1ty Professional
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

I hope this is a good build. My aim was around $1000. Is this an okay build?

If you're upgrading in a Dell case make sure it will accept a new motherboard.
I have 2 Dells I've been cannibalizing and noticed there rear I/O area does not accept a standard shield.

As to the CPU I've never heard of the 2400K, but I did find this response to it on another forum:
I have not heard of Intel releasing anymore CPUs, not even any K editions. If its and ES [(engineering sample)], that means it just might have come with a unlocked multiplier but ES versions are normally for mobo makers to test and that means this CPU might have errata that can be very bad.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy it since it will have no warranty and returning to the reseller would probably not happen.

I would not purchase an Apevia power supply, it is not a reliable brand, and they don't have the power you think.
Its pushing 680w and 48A, while you can get a quality brand 550w that has 45A, I'd want more from a 680w.

Roark - Thanks for the tip @_@ I'll have to look into mobo's for the XPS 410. The reason for the Core i5 2400K is for experimenting. The intel Core "i" series (i3, i5, i7) CPUs have OC unlocks (that's what the K is at the end of the numbers). I don't OC very much, but I want to try just a little hands-on.The Apevia Iceberg was kind of a wild guess. If the Iceberg doesn't work, I plan to go either Thermaltake or CoolerMaster. Any suggestions?

Also, to add, the tower is an old Gateway E Series E4000 tower...

Yeah I know the K series CPUs, just not the 2400 version since the only ones available for widespread retail are 2500/2600/2700.

My suggestion would be not to get a Thermaltake or Cooler Master PSU.
If you don't have better options (Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, OCZ, XFX) then I'd say the Thermaltake Toughpower XT series is your best bet.

Not sure if Gateway uses the same style cases as Dell with rear panels that won't accept a generic I/O shield, quick look at the back should tell you though.

Roark - Seems you're right. Looking around, the 2400 series CPU's have the K unlocks, but aren't included in the "K" series since the multiplier is only x8 to x12 unlike the K series 45x or more multipliers. Oh well, gives me a "little" room to tinker with OC...

I looked into some Antec and Silverstone PSU's... definitely worth the cash. Not sure which to decide on just yet.

As for the rear I/O Shield, it seems that the XPS series Dell makes can support generic I/O, but the dimension and inspiron towers won't, so I'm glad I chose an XPS tower (that and the card port slots are snap-on and not screwed). Checked the back of the Gateway ESX E4000 tower... and luckily the I/O shield can be removed (unscrewed). Can I get an I/O shield that fits the P65 MoBo or do MoBo's usually come with one?

I'm glad that the upgrades are only an experiment to figure out what I'm going to do with the Dell tower... thank you for all your help! Keep it coming...

Its up to you on the CPU, I wasn't focusing on the unlocked multiplier but the fact that its an engineering sample.
As I understand them, while it should run fine there is greater potential for it to have issues than a standard retail version, and no warranty to protect you in case it does.
I think of it like the Beta version of a game, it has most of the features, but its hobbled in some way and has higher potential for bugs.

My favorite go-to is JonnyGURU.com, they do thorough reviews.
Or just Google the PSU model number and look for legitimate 3rd party reviews (customer reviews can rarely be trusted).

I/O shields are board specific, and are included with the board when purchased.
side-note, measured mine and its about 6"x2" if you wanted to double check dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom