At what point do you add more RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I've been watching my G15's resource monitor and noticed that throughout the day I can get up to around 70% RAM usage (4GB total).
I have another 4GB kit kicking around and 64-Bit OS, trying to decide if its worth installing or selling it.

Unless you are using like 90% adding another 4gb is just going to make your used ram percentage to 35%. It's not going to help unless you are using the vast majority of your RAM.

MoM: Specs on the other RAM? I't be 800MHz Mushkin to go with my 1066 G.Skill, although with my OC its not at 1066 anyway.
I haven't messed around with it to get the right clocks yet, and they both have the same timings (CAS5) so don't think it'd matter.

Lex: Yeah I wasn't sure if ~70% was considered vast majority or not, and I don't really plan on doing anything more strenuous with this rig than I already have been, so I guess as long as I stay below 85% there is really no need... ?

It's not going to hurt, but i wouldn't go purchase the RAM, if it's sitting around and your current system could handle it install it, if it requires a purchase or a reinstallation of the OS i wouldn't do it.

Its laying around, and I already have 64-bit installed.
However considering the high price on DDR2 RAM I guess I'd be better of selling it.

You can *never* have too much RAM :tongue: But no, in all seriousness... If you're hitting ~90% then I'd consider putting it in. Otherwise, make a little money and sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom