Its That Time Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

XI_xtasy_ix

In Runtime
Time for an upgrade and this is going to be a pretty big one. I want to get new RAM, Processor, GFX, and a MOBO.

Right now I have 4 Gigs of RAM, i3 Processor, No Card and a Gigabyte MOBO.

I would like to get 6 core AMD processor, a MOBO that can run it for a a relatively cheap price, a GFX card that can run what I want it too and make it beautiful, and 16 Gigs RAM.

This is what I have found so far:

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

RAM:two of these. Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

MOBO: None

GFX: None

I plan on using this mostly for gaming and movies. Particularly Diablo 3 when it finally comes out... but would also like to use it for other games as well. Whatever happens to tickle my fancy.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need 16GB, mate. Unless you are into video development, or compiling data.

If you want a good GFX, you can get a 560Ti.

I'm not too well versed in AMD, so I'll leave that for someone else.

What's your budget?

less than 500. and I want to get into montages as well and i can get the 16 for less than 100 so i thought i might as well lol

560 ti is a good choice, i have one and it can handle battlefield on ultra so will be fine for games you want to play (cod or whatever you want to make montages for.) You can always get a 448 core 560 ti for $30-$40 more which will give better framerate, which will be good if your going to be using fraps or something.

These would work well with the cpu and Ram you picked.

Newegg.com - ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS <<usb 3.0 and 6x sata III and crossfire support. Has good reviews on newegg although i know they cant always be trusted.

Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card << $270 with rebate and free batman arkham asylum, plus evga are a good brand.

These two parts and the ram+cpu you picked would come to $645. You said less than 500 but i wasnt sure if you meant less than 500 for just the two components you couldnt decide on, or all four things. I just assumed you meant for the parts you couldnt decide on seeing as though you are willing to spend $100 on RAM. If you need everything for less than 500 just say and i will change the parts i picked although it will be hard to find a decent mobo and GFX with only $220 because of the CPU and RAM you picked.

My mom is buying me the RAM for my birthday. I need the processor, MOBO, and GFX for 500 or less. I dont need anything particularly heavy duty because most of what I play will probably just be diablo 3. Im willing to play other games at less than max settings until i can afford to get a better card.

In that case just get this GFX and your all set to go.

Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card << this is the same card as mine and will bring you down to $490 after mail in rebate. This will handle Battlefield 3 on ultra, i dont know much about diablo 3 though. Also it stays nice and cool and you can overclock to around 1ghz (not all of them can reach 1ghz). Mine was at 1ghz while playing skyrim and it was stable although i dont use 1ghz as i dont really need to.

yes it is compatible
AM3+ is backward compatible with the AM3, but Bulldozer is for AM3+ only

there are tons more sites saying it works, just search it on google.

I only suggested an am3+ socket over an am3 because if you ever want to upgrade to a new CPU in the future the am3+ may support it. Im not sure what socket AMDs next CPU's will be (called piledriver or steamroller <<something like this, following bulldozer.) but if they are good you may want to upgrade to it and they may be compatible with AM3+ and definitely not with AM3 seeing as though bulldozer is barely compatible with am3
AMD Bulldozer Compatibility with AM3 Motherboards Explained - Softpedia

alright. Last question (I hope) is a 6 core overly ambitious? Is it worth getting or should I just get a 4 core? I dont really need 18 Gigs RAM so I am only gonna get 8 for now and upgrade again later if I need to. The MOBO looks good. All I am hung up on is if the CPU is overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom