Low Latency, the lie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it has to do with the CPU's.. I have two, you have one. I can handle two thread's at once. There isn't anyway your PC133 can beat my PC150.. For one my system is using very aggressive timings. I can easily overclock my chips to 1.2Ghz each.. They handle it fine. I just don't because I don't want the heat in my case. How about your HDD performance?

You don't know how Dual Processing works... It doesn't switch over to the other chip when one is being used 100%.. The system divides the load evenly amongst the two using HAL. So yes, the system is total 2.0Ghz. However I get better performance than a 2.0Ghz chip, so your right, it's not as fast as a 2.0Ghz system, it's faster. I can handle two thread's at the same time.. Your system can only do one at a time.

You need to read:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MjIz

ChaosBlizzard said:
I can handle two thread's at the same time.. Your system can only do one at a time.

and yet i beat your score still (arithmatic) IF i had dual processors i would be getting 50K+ in the multimedia benchmark lol...that's awesome.

HD only got 26466 (used combined performance wizard for that test)
But i am running 1HD on ATA133...there's a huge difference between that and RAID 0 lol. You should win in that.

I never said it switches between CPU's..i said the work load on both CPU's is cut in half..less stress. (which you said too) It is still a 1ghz machine it just runs with less stress and can put out 2x as much processing power. The mhz count is still 1ghz.

What are your memory scores? i beat the ones in that review you posted with my litte P3 laptop...maybe yours are better than his? I got...

875mb/s
862mb/s
running 3-3-3-6 timings.

Originally posted by ChaosBlizzard You need to read:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MjIz

why do i need to read that? where did i say "your #2 cpu "kicks in""??? I never said that...i know how dual processors work, i run 2 servers with dual P3's just like yours (well not JUWST like yours lol)

You still don't understand.. EACH processor is 1.0Ghz. That's doesn't make the system have a total of 1.0Ghz. I do not know where you learned math but 1+1=2... The other 1,000MHz just doesn't go away... It does NOT work like that.

Also, I will do memory testing when I get my new 256mb PC150 XMS memory in. The system doesn't bench well with only 256mb. Those scores you see in the bottom.. Are with lots and lots of hard drive swapping..

You "beat" my Arithmetic score because the AMD chip does more IPC. That and like I said.. My CPU's have to keep going to the HDD because I am out of RAM. My system is using 300-400MB's of swap right now as I write this. That's where most of my performance is going...

PS- Make sure you have the latest version of SiSandra on that laptop.. As older versions have had bugs where the scores would be inflated or calculated wrong.

ChaosBlizzard said:
You still don't understand.. EACH processor is 1.0Ghz. That's doesn't make the system have a total of 1.0Ghz. I do not know where you learned math but 1+1=2... The other 1,000MHz just doesn't go away... It does NOT work like that.

Also, I will do memory testing when I get my new 256mb PC150 XMS memory in. The system doesn't bench well with only 256mb. Those scores you see in the bottom.. Are with lots and lots of hard drive swapping..

You "beat" my Arithmetic score because the AMD chip does more IPC. That and like I said.. My CPU's have to keep going to the HDD because I am out of RAM. My system is using 300-400MB's of swap right now as I write this. That's where most of my performance is going...

PS- Make sure you have the latest version of SiSandra on that laptop.. As older versions have had bugs where the scores would be inflated or calculated wrong.

Does your coputer say P3 2ghz? Or does it say P3 Dual Processors 1.ghz? That's what i'm trying to figure out here...

My laptop is only on 128mb of RAM...you should perform better with 256MB anywyas. Plus i am on XP Pro SP2....uses more services/more graphically intense that 2000. You would have 4X the amount of RAM i do just to compare?

I have 2004...SP2 edition...it calculates just fine lol.

man im loving this, once again with the no, really, 2 processors beats any 1 processor ever... :D, chaosblizzard back again, better hurry this will probably get closed soon. and as for 2 processors always being faster, they can in fact be slower than a single in gaming when using hte same processor... a p3 1ghz exactly same configuration would run faster in gaming than dual p3 1ghz... so those claims of superiority can go out the window.

It doesn't matter what it says. The math is still 1000x2. I still have 2000Mhz of total processing power. I don't know where you get 1.0Ghz+1.0Ghz=1.0Ghz.. It doesn't work that way. Also, if you really think your using more RAM, why don't you check. That's almost as absurd as saying not only a laptop can out bench my memory scores, but one using high latencies as well. I have 42 services running right now.

Dxdiag reports "Intel Pentium III Processor (2 CPUS)". Each 1.0Ghz chip is registered with the system. That makes 2.0Ghz of TOTAL processing power. The system uses it as such.

How would having 2 1.0Ghz chips somehow yield a 1.0Ghz setup that performs better than a 2.0Ghz chip??? Your not making sense.

Leonidas said:
man im loving this, once again with the no, really, 2 processors beats any 1 processor ever... :D, chaosblizzard back again, better hurry this will probably get closed soon. and as for 2 processors always being faster, they can in fact be slower than a single in gaming when using hte same processor... a p3 1ghz exactly same configuration would run faster in gaming than dual p3 1ghz... so those claims of superiority can go out the window.

Yeah, that's why companies use these things as servers.. Because they are slower. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

A system with 2 processors will outperform a system with 1. This is because while the game is using 1 chip, the system itself can be using the other. This kills a bottleneck. The game may not work better directly. However, if the game gets it's own cpu time and the system gets its own.. That means better performance.

This is common sense...

might want to be careful, chaosblizzard uses the ever-effective "i know you are but what am i" strategem. :D

Leonidas said:
might want to be careful, chaosblizzard uses the ever-effective "i know you are but what am i" strategem. :D

No, I use the ever effective, read and learn strategy. Something you seem to negate. Where in my posts did I state what you just quoted? Either you are reading thing's wrong, or you don't know how a dual system work's. I would like you to go into the Vp6 forums and state how you think dual processing works. We will take a look at what kind of response you get.

BTW- What is a "strategem"?

ChaosBlizzard said:
It doesn't matter what it says. The math is still 1000x2. I still have 2000Mhz of total processing power. I don't know where you get 1.0Ghz+1.0Ghz=1.0Ghz.. It doesn't work that way. Also, if you really think your using more RAM, why don't you check. That's almost as absurd as saying not only a laptop can out bench my memory scores, but one using high latencies as well. I have 42 services running right now.

Dxdiag reports "Intel Pentium III Processor (2 CPUS)". Each 1.0Ghz chip is registered with the system. That makes 2.0Ghz of TOTAL processing power. The system uses it as such.

How would having 2 1.0Ghz chips somehow yield a 1.0Ghz setup that performs better than a 2.0Ghz chip??? Your not making sense.

i know you are using MORE services...but what im saying is why do you need to get 512BM just to beat my 128MB...it shouldn't matter what you are using, if it takes 512MB to run better than 128MB with worse timings then that says something right there.

What programs do you run that are multi-threading compatible? i dont use a single one...

It "yields" 2ghz of processing power...i agree with you, actually more if you overclock. but my point is it is not a physical 2ghz machine (from a manufacturer's point of view) it is a P3 1000mhz dual processor with an output of ~2ghz., if you advertised P3 2000mhz dual processor computer it would not be true...people would then think it has 2*2ghz processors. i'm not trashing your system...it might sound that way. i run 2*600mhz dual computers...so there 1.2ghz right? But it is recognized and sold as a 600mhz dual processor machine.

You don't even know how memory works! If my system runs out of RAM it doesn't matter how much I have, if it's out, it's out! The system will then swap and I will take a performance hit...

No, it's not a physical 2.0Ghz machine, it's better.. Why have 2.0Ghz in one chip, when I can have that divided amongst two and handle more operations?

Yes, it yeilds 2.0Ghz.. What did you think it was doing?? Fusion?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom