15,000 RPM Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone gave me a 9gig 15,000 rpm scsi and i love it, just run windows on it.

It can bve expensive but there is a performance increase.

Alex81388 said:
Someone gave me a 9gig 15,000 rpm scsi and i love it, just run windows on it.

It can bve expensive but there is a performance increase.

9GB? A lil' small don't you think?

It's better to run the OS on a smaller faster drive.. You should have a secondary hard drive for your data. This way if the OS goes down, you still have all your files.

Nubius said:
I assume with a 10,000 RPM drive deleting files would go much quicker too,

I'm pretty sure windows doesn't "delete" the file when you delete it, it just removes its signature or whatever so it doesn't see it, and if need be will write over it when the time comes. Which is why deleted files can be recovered.

ChaosBlizzard said:
It's better to run the OS on a smaller faster drive.. You should have a secondary hard drive for your data. This way if the OS goes down, you still have all your files.

never ran on 2*HD b4...i'd want RAID or faster if i did that. also never had a HD crash on me b4...even if it did i don't have anything on my PC worth crying over lol. i mean an 80GB 10,000RPM is just as fast as a 10GB 10,000RPM drive right? i dont see how the 10GB is better (besides your OS crash theory)?

No, if the drive is smaller, generally the seek time is better...

I currently have a RAID 0 setup. The system's sustained throughput is 88MB/s.

my computer just sits in the HD test...

in the other one though it doesn't tell me MB throughput, just a #...i'll try it again lol.

ChaosBlizzard said:

Yeah i got a 40g Raptor with everythign else, but windows runs like a dream on the SCSI.

10k hd will give you all around quicker performance on many things. most will only use them if they are anal about everything running top notch. and for those guys that are runnin 15k hd's...yeehaa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom