How powerful is this computer for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluehotdog5

Baseband Member
I bought a barebone kit off of tiger Direct, which I have yet to put together. I actually don't know how to build a computer, so I'm having my friend come over tomorrow to show me. In the mean time, I was wondering how powerful you think it is for gaming so far, and what I could buy in the future to make it better for gaming.
Here is the page on Tigerdirect
What sucks is that I don't have a copy of windows, so linux will have to suffice until I get windows.

I would at least want to be able to play CSS, but I think this should handle that. More graphically intensive PC games I have, that I like to play are X3: Terran Conflict, GRID, Burnout Paradise and Gothic 3.

Its not a gaming computer, not really sure how else to say it.
It looks like its meant to be an office rig, hence the H&R Block software that comes with it.

The CPU isn't bad, or the RAM/Hard Drive.
But that video card is not much of a gaming card at all, not sure you'll like the results you get with CSS.

Also, its missing a power supply.

I was aware I would need to get a new card for it. In fact, I thought it would come with only an integrated card, which is why I asked, because I'm curious how well this one would perform. As for the power supply, I see one in the case.
Do you think it would be easy enough to build on? I'm not aiming on spending a thousand bucks on a really nice rig, just one adequate for the games I play right now. Do you think I could modify it to make it better?

What power supply brand and model number is the one that came in the case?
If it's a low quality power supply, you would be better off getting a reliable PSU than risking your components.

The label says Thermaltake. The model is TT-450NL2NK
The AC Input section of the lable says this:
Input Voltage: 115V / 230V~
Input Current 8A / 4A
Frequency: 47Hz ~ 63 Hz

At the very bottom it says Max Power: 450W

For the record... for the price its a decent setup.

While not top notch, tjhe psu is a brand name. How many Amp are on the 12V onthe label?
I'm not sure what you mean, so here's a scan I took. It's a large image, but I figured the quality is better than it would be if I just took a picture.

Also, when I named the thread, I think I made the title a little misleading. I bought a 250$ bare bone kit, I wasn't expecting a gaming computer, I was expecting something I can build off of. I'll start off with something fairly basic, and gradually buy new hardware for it to make it better for gaming.

But I want to know what I should upgrade, and in what order. Should I invest in a PSU before getting a better video card, or should I first buy windows 7 before anything else? Not sure if I mentioned that in an earlier post, but I'm fairly good at using linux, and I can probably get most of my games running in wine if I try.

You may get lucky as that tri-core may unlock to a quad.

Overall it is not too bad of a setup. You will want a better PSU and a decent graphics card, but other than that you came out pretty good.

You may get lucky as that tri-core may unlock to a quad.

Overall it is not too bad of a setup. You will want a better PSU and a decent graphics card, but other than that you came out pretty good.
What do you mean unlock to a quad? is there some magical way of transforming a tri-core to a quad-core, or do you mean I should upgrade to a quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom