Status
Not open for further replies.

C_olin

In Runtime
Current PC specs:
AthlonXP 2000+ 333 FSB
512mb DDR
Radeon 9600 256mb

I have $200 to spend on upgrading my computer (for Half-life 2 of course). And I'm debating on what I should get. My MoBo supports all the way up to AthlonXP 3000+, and dual fed ram.

I heard that the AthlonXP 2700+ is a much better value than the AthlonXP 3000+, Is this true?

I was thinking either get:

AthlonXP 3000+ w/ 400 FSB (Possibly a cheap 512 ddr ram?) (Total: $137)
or
AthlonXP 2700+ w/ 333 FSB AND 512 ddr ram (Total: $170)

Which would make the biggest increase in performance? (mostly for the Source Engine)

Suggestions please!

Ok, get a 9800 Pro, im not sure how much they are but that's your best bet for source engine.

Thats not at all what I have been suggested to upgrade before.... My card can render the graphics easily, but my performance is bottlenecked because of my slow processer......

Rember my card is 256mb ddr

but thanks for the suggestion....

any other suggestions??

How do you know your processor is bottlenecking the system? Is the CPU utilization hitting 100% during gaming? If so, upgrade your CPU, if not, go with setting up dual channel memory.

IF I WERE YOU:
amd 2500 barton Oc easy to 3200 = 90 bucks?
another stick of 512 = 80?
pack of starbursts : 89 cents

actualy starbursts are only 50 cents

Anyways, I found out how to check my CPU percentage and it is almost ALWAYS 100% while playing Counter-Strike: Source.... Which requires less of a system than HL2 will

So, AthlonXP 3000+? or 2700+ with ram?

If you click on CTRL+ALT+DEL then open up the task manager, that will keep a log of how much CPU is being used.. Try to bring it up while playing a game and see if your computer is using 100% CPU. If your computer is having a hard time bring up the process manager while gaming, it most likely is using 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom