Computer powers off after less than a minute - Trying to install new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interface is compatable, but, a 7200RPM 320GB HDD has a higher power draw than a typical laptop HDD.

So if you can pull the drive and see how it reacts we know whats up. But don't you find it strange your last HDD "died" now you can't do anything even after putting another drive in?

Yes I do find it strange, especially since besides another HD failure about 3 years ago I haven't had any other hardware problems at all. I pulled this new HD out but I don't really know what I should be looking for, can you tell me what some signs of failure might be?

Never open the HD it self, and don't open a laptop unless your experienced. What I want you to do, it have the HDD removed from the system, and power the system up. See if it shuts down or does anything strange for awhile. If it doesn't then get a different HDD, if it still acts funky, you should consider having a repair shop look at it in person for better diagnostics, as at this point it feels like chipset failure or HDD is causing the system to error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom