Computer powers off after less than a minute - Trying to install new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other ideas? To be honest the laptop never even seems to get warm, it's shutting off at like 1-2 minutes and the case is still cool and the air it's cycling through is also cool.

That failure wouldn't allow you to start the system, it's not that it overheats and desolders, but the core actually cracks. I have a Vostro 1500 with one of the affected GPU's, but I ended up being sent a free replacement with a different heatsink design. Honestly, they can feel cool to the touch, but dust will hamper air flow.

The only way this new drive can be causing issues is if it pulls too much power, which is also very unlikely.

A hard drive can "crash" if it gets too hot due to the system cooling not working properly.

But your issue is some form of overheating, if it was GPU failure, you would have very different symptoms. The fact is, if it sits for awhile, it stays on just a bit longer, this is a sign of a component overheating.

If you really suspect GPU failure, then contact Dell, or find another 8600M GT made for your laptop. I will say this, they do get HOT, I have seen my laptop reach ~96C, thermal shutdown was ~110C, and it tripped the other day, had plenty of air flow, but there was just enough dust covering a fourth of the heatsink, and it could no longer cool down quick enough with the fan at max.

Ok now I have two problems. The first is that my laptop is still powering down after about a minute and I've totally cleaned the fan and headsink so I have no idea what to do.

Secondly, one time my laptop actually made it to the point where I could start the installtion process by pressing Enter, so I did. Then a message came up saying that "setup did not find any hard disks installed on your computer".

I'm getting really frustrated here, I need this thing for classes...

Sounds like it overheated and the chipset is now failing due to overheating. When you checked the fan and heatsink, did you physically take the laptop apart and inspect them? If so, did you reapply thermal paste properly to the components attached to the heatsinks?

No I didn't physically remove the heat sink or fan, I just opened the back panel and cleaned all the dust out with some compressed air. Do you mean the motherboards chipset?

Yes. Apparently SOME boards had the GPU integrated right beside the chipset... I think yours is one of those... Which means you have a lot of heat really close to the chipset... Care to get some pictures of what it looks like when you "open the back panel"?

Also, try removing the HDD and see if she stays on, if the HDD is bad, or draws too much power, the system could be shutting down to prevent something from burning out.

Ok now I have two problems. The first is that my laptop is still powering down after about a minute and I've totally cleaned the fan and headsink so I have no idea what to do.

Secondly, one time my laptop actually made it to the point where I could start the installtion process by pressing Enter, so I did. Then a message came up saying that "setup did not find any hard disks installed on your computer".

I'm getting really frustrated here, I need this thing for classes...

Excuse me for dropping in on this for a minute, but what kind of hdd did you install, what size was it and speed ?

Just like corrisive maybe guessing, you might have a hdd your system might not be able to handle.
If you have a spare sata hdd laying around, try it in your laptop and see what happens.
If you get the same symptoms as your new one, I suspect your chipset maybe going bad.

*You can have your mic back corrisive* ;)

320GB SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive 16MB 7200RPM 2.5IN w/o Free Fall Scorpio Black

That's the hard drive I bought from Dell. The guy I ordered it from assured me it was compatible with my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom