Computer powers off after less than a minute - Trying to install new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CynicalCyborg

Solid State Member
Hey guys, a few weeks ago my laptops hard drive crashed on me so I had to order a new one. Today I installed it and I was attempting to install an OS on it so I could begin using my laptop again. I went into my BIOS and changed the boot sequence to read from the CD drive first, then I put in my OS CD (Windows 7, 32 bit) and exited the BIOS.

Everything seemed to be going normally, I had a progress bar while the computer was booting up and then all of the sudden my computer simply powered off like the battery had died on me. I tried powering it back on and everything once again appeared to be going smoothly and then about 30 seconds in the computer shut off again.

The first thing I tried was using another installation disc (this time XP) even though I didn't think that was the problem. Sure enough about 20-30 seconds in the laptop powers off again.

The next thing I did was go into my BIOS again and check the battery info. Everything appears normal and it says that my battery is at 100% charge. Just to be sure I tried removing my battery and attempting the installation while running on pure AC power, but no luck - the laptop still powers off.

So I decided I'd come here and see if anyone here might be able to help, I have a little technical experience but I'm by no means a computer wiz or anything. Is it possible my motherboard is failing as well? It just seems a little odd because prior to my last hard drive crashing everything was running smoothly.

Thanks for any help!

I took your advice and took a look at my fan. It didn't appear to be too dusty but I blasted it with some compressed air anyways. I tried booting the laptop again and it did appear to last a little longer, it shut off about 2 minutes into OS installation.

When you power it up, take a look at the fans themselves and makes sure they run. I agree with c0rr0sive that it sounds like a CPU or GPU thermal shutdown.

Prop it up the back of the laptop so that the fans underneath get more air flow

how old is your laptop if I may ask?

Oh I see what you're saying. That's actually kind of how I was already doing it, I had my laptop sitting on one leg so the fan was totally unobstructed.

My laptop is about...5 years old, maybe a little less.

It's just odd because prior to this hard drive crash I didn't have any problems like this, is it possible this is somehow related to my new HD? My old one was 100gb and this one is 350gb so it's different, but Dell said it was compatible.

Naaa, the hard drive really wouldn't have anything to do with it unless it was defective, which could be a possibility, but unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom