Massive FPS Drops in Online Games Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenicknife

Beta member
I've been having this issue for the last few weeks, where, randomly, the game I'm playing will go from a constant 30 or 40 fps down to about 5 or 10 depending on where I am, and sometimes the game will virtually freeze up in more populated areas. These spikes last for a good 15 seconds and happen every 2 or 3 minutes. The problem is that they happen in online games only, specifically Rift and League of Legends, the two main ones I'm playing right now. I've been playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning as well, which is a single-player game, but I've had no issues with this whatsoever.

I've contacted tech support for Rift, and over the course of three or four days we could not resolve this issue. We tried everything from editing specific files in the Rift directory, to the typical step-by-step"fixes" that they have to run through. I even went and reformatted my harddrive, to no avail. Today, I tried replacing my modem, but I don't experience any disconnects in the game, just the fps lag. Furthermore, I can play online on my consoles using a wireless connection and not have any lag/disconnects. It's only when I play on my PC, which leads me to believe it's a hardware issue. But at the same time, why only the online games?

These are my specs for reference:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/20/10 10:22:37 Ver: 03.04
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6144MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Display Memory: 3307 MB
Dedicated Memory: 491 MB
Shared Memory: 2815 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

One final note is that I've had this setup for the last year, it's only the last few weeks that have been giving my trouble. Any ideas? I'm truly desperate because I've tried everything within my limited knowledge about computers, and I literally don't know what else to do. I don't currently have the means to go out and build a new pc, but I don't think anything is actually wrong with it because of how selective the problem is. That's what makes it so frustrating.

What's your power supply?
It may be going bad and not able to provide as much power as it once could, this would cause you to lag when your computer uses the most power.

Have the graphic settings been modified?
Some games have auto adjusting graphic settings, they may have been turned up.

Also, 1080p is a lot to ask for a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT to be able to handle. You may want to consider upgrading your video card, and possibly your power supply too.

Power Supply is 650w. The graphic settings in Rift are all toned down, they haven't changed. I was running a Radeon HD 5770 about a week ago, but this issue still happened on that as well and I was running that card for about a year, playing this game as well without any problems. That card burned out so I'm getting it replaced and using this in the mean time, but getting the same issue regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom