Laptop wont boot up! Black Screen with cursor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allport

Beta member
Please help! (Emachines Laptop)When I switch my laptop on it comes up with a black screen with just the cursor in the top left, this happens before I get to any login screens etc, It's like its wanting to boot a CD but there;s no CD/DVD in the rom! Even when I have put one in, it still hasn't worked :( I've looked on lots of forums but none have helped. The only thing that works is F2 that takes me to InsydeH20 Setup Utility &F12 Boot menu But they dont help! I've tried the usual F8 for safe mode but no such luck, nothing happens, still the same black screen with cursor! Any help on how to fix this would be massively appreciated!

Did you check the boot order, your HDD being first? May be hanging because it is trying to boot off something it can't find.

Try this with your boot order:

1.Hard drive.
2."USB/hdd" if you see that naming dont get it confused too much with other hard drives boot.
3.floppy+ Lan networking boot
4.external cd/dvd drive.

Once you do that, if you plug in a flash drive or external hdd that has boot capability, your bios will let you know on full post of whats being loaded up before you boot into your os.

@Mike - He fixed it. Don't fix what is not broken.

@Allport - Glad you fixed it, but please don't write in caps. Even if you are happy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom