Why? It just doesn't seem smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
I oftentimes wonder why every year pc games' system requirements get higher and higher. Most of the new games coming out take a computer with a very expensive video card or just a very expensive computer to begin with. I understand that people want better and better graphics and all, but I don't see it as a smart thing for the companies to do economically. It seems to me that they would make more money if they would come out with games this year that will play well on computers that the average user has. Instead, what is coming out this year needs a video card that costs around $350 and very fast processor such as the AMD 64bit ones (that just came out this year).
I may be asking this question in the wrong place, but some of us have kids, bills, etc. and cannot afford to go out once a year and spend major amounts of money to upgrade what is already a great pc and will do everything good but run the latest pc games.
I guess that just means more money for PS2.

supply and demand yo. people want those kick arse mind blowing graphics games, and companies deliver, albeit making ton's of profits too. actually, i see comp hardware prices falling from a year or two ago.

Yea, i can remember the days when if you had the sufficient RAM and hard drive space, you could play the game. SimCity 3000 for instance, required around 300MB of hard drive space, a 133MHz processor, and 64MB of RAM. Back then, if you had those specs, you could run the game. You didn't have to worry about buying expensive 3D accelerators like you do now. And I am worried also.....I just spent $400 on an X800 Pro which I am already seeing games on the horizon that will tax that card. F.E.A.R. is a big one, and has mouth watering graphics, but you will probably need at least a 6800GT to run it at full graphics with smooth framerates. Being as I just bought a $400 X800 pro about 4 months ago, and I have so many other priorities, I CAN NOT afford to go out and drop another $400 on a 6800GT just to be able to play the latest games at high framerates (although I wish I were that rich :). ) I guess thats why consoles do so well, although I would prefer to play on a crap PC any day over the latest consoles.

Well this is why they are making games like doom3 that are playable even on older systems....I believe on all lowest settings it can play on a system from the Geforce 4 era.....so really they aren't making games that require a complete new system especially not having to go with an AMD64.....

You can get a $60 motherboard, $80 processor, $75 stick of 512mb Value RAM, and pay $100-150 for a graphics card that'll serve your purposes. My FX 5700 is like $100 now, it was $150 back when I got it in April and it still serves all my needs. Running off a $90 processor, $75 mobo, and that $75 stick of 512mb value ram lol and an extra stick of 256mb PC2700 that I had from my previous machine....

Basically for $250-300 you can get a very playable gaming machine...and not necessarily have to play them all on lowest settings either.

Yup, I play on same resolution, high settings, noaa, noaf though, but it's up in the 40's but drops down to teens if there are a lot of badguys on the screen...

So Joe is proof you can have a cheap and effective gaming machine :D

Simple fact of money running the world.. Technology creates better hardware which allows better graphics. Game publishers create better games for the obvious reason, but for you gospel, it's because the req for the game to be played, means the person also has to buy more hardware.. big circle, understand? It's like your asking why is technology advancing itself. *shrugs*

Nubius said:
Well this is why they are making games like doom3 that are playable even on older systems....I believe on all lowest settings it can play on a system from the Geforce 4 era.....so really they aren't making games that require a complete new system especially not having to go with an AMD64.....

You can get a $60 motherboard, $80 processor, $75 stick of 512mb Value RAM, and pay $100-150 for a graphics card that'll serve your purposes. My FX 5700 is like $100 now, it was $150 back when I got it in April and it still serves all my needs. Running off a $90 processor, $75 mobo, and that $75 stick of 512mb value ram lol and an extra stick of 256mb PC2700 that I had from my previous machine....

Basically for $250-300 you can get a very playable gaming machine...and not necessarily have to play them all on lowest settings either.

I really appreciate this comment. Even though I was curious I suspected why they do this, but also I was hoping that someone would come forth with some info too. What kind of $80 processor are you using?

I think the 2.4 ghz p4 is about that amount, for a bit more your could get an amd 64 2800. If you need a really cheap processor there are always the semprons.

Trifid said:
I think the 2.4 ghz p4 is about that amount, for a bit more your could get an amd 64 2800. If you need a really cheap processor there are always the semprons.

I already have a Soyo board that is made for a AMD Athlon up to the 3000+. I don't think it will accept one of the 64 bit processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom