motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sockets mean nothing these days, seriously, especially with AMD since socket AM2/3

Go to the manufactures website for your motherboard, look up the exact model/revision of your board, and look on the CPU support list.

Shouldn't the manufacturer know, for sure?

Yes, but some people who are new or intermediate to computer building or upgrading might not know which product belongs to a specific socket or might end up getting the wrong motherboard, where the cpu did not make it as supported list of intel current lign up for that release.

If you were to ask yourself honestly, how many P4/celerons and even old athlons from past generations get you mixed up once and awhile when you got into computers ?

Honestly, AM2+/AM3 motherboard combination support needs to stop, am2+ is nearly dead and some poor guy might pick up a cpu that the motherboard cannot use. :|

I think going to the manufacture's web site for cpu support is the best option even for newbs. What if I get a 6100 FX chip and only find out later that the AM3 board does not support FX chips?

Thats why I posted one of those wiki links on cpu sockets.
If anyone is ever looking to do a first time upgrade or build and dont know "all the cpus" listed for said such sockets they can find out what they are looking for, follow on down to amd hyperlinks like you said for support information and make a good right choice the first time while looking for a motherboard to match the cpu and get what they needed.

Remember both AMD and Intel have plenty of data on their current or past sockets, but not all that information can be easily found on the first few pages of their sites without digging through a few archives of pages to find what you need.

I agree that the manufacturers website will have the most accurate information regarding compatibility.
However, the fact that Mike posted a link to wikipedia regarding sockets and compatibility doesn't mean that they would have to only use his link. He is not limiting someone new to computers simply by posting a link.

The link to wikipedia, along with many wikipedia pages are useful to those less informed. It is easier to understand because it has articles that are a mixture of technical and more common and recognizable language. Not only that, but many of the technical words have links to information on what they are and why they may matter.

Someone who is new should research and understand a bit about computers before installing a processor simply because it is supported. One may lack the proper knowledge to follow the process of installing the hardware correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom