Mouse and keyboard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle

Beta member
Hello,

I have a HP laptop, with XP professional. My computer skills are about average. Lately, both the mouse (wired) and keyboard intermittently stop working. The USB ports are fine, and the condition of both the mouse and keyboard have been tested and work on other computers. In conjunction with this, suddenly the computer will not shut down, nor restart, whatsoever. I shut it off at the power button, restart it, and it works fine, including the aforementioned hardware. Within 1-2 hours, the mouse and keyboard stop working. As far as I know there are no viruses, and I have a good anti virus program, and monitor this every day. I have followed some directions I saw on some other website, but this problem continues. I think it is related together, the mouse/keyboard and of course, the computer not shutting down, I can provide more info, and I greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you,

What AV do you have? Did you use malwarebytes to check for malware?

Is your CPU overheating, or using 100% of it at any time? Post up a pic of HWMonitor.

Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply. I suppose I should say my skills are less than average, as I am not familiar with some of the list you mentioned. The AV is Avast 5. I have heard of malware, but do not understand the rest of the question. Is that something that the AV does?

Yes, the CPU is overheating, sometimes, but I thought I had it fixed several weeks ago. It does not seem too bad. The other part of the question, I am not sure, but probably. Finally, I apologize, but I don't know what the picture is you are mentioning, but would be happy to learn. thank you.

I would somewhat follow MoM's advice.

I would download and run Malwarebytes AntiMalware just to see if it found anything.

Next, I would go to HP's Support Site and look up my laptop and download the USB drivers, then install them.

Do you have an XP disk for your machine? Not a restore disk, but an actual XP installation disk? I ask as it sounds like some files could possibly be corrupt since you are losing your USB.

Something else that concerns me is your overheating issue. Since this happens after 1-2 hours of use it may very well be caused by overheating as well. Make sure that your laptop is not sitting on a flat surface... prop it up with something so that air can circulate under it and see if that helps.

Thank you. I was not aware that the other person actually provided advice; it appeared to be a partial understanding of what to do, and he had not replied back. However, your help seems extremely detailed, and competent. I do have the laptop off of its area where the fan..oh I don't its nae! but each and every of your other steps, I will try. Thank you so very much. I sure admire those of you who are great at computers.

:big_smile:

Hi,

The first step has been done. I installed the anti-malware and it suggested a quick scan. After 30 minutes, it appeared there were no problems, but at the end of its time- 32 minutes- 3 such problems were detected-a surprise to me. I removed those three viruses or Trojan horse, etc.

Now, firstly, I installed the free version and did not try the Pro trial. Also, I only did the quick scan.

I do not have any disks for this computer.

I will try not to ask for too much (and I help people with their lives, volunteer) but I am trying to solve this problems very methodically. I was eventually going to mention, that also the computer had not been shutting down, properly. I will see how this removal of viruses affects the problem.

You need to do a FULL SCAN. A quick scan doesnt detect everything. Along with that you need to be clear and concise with your posts. We cant help you with the Cliff Notes version of what is going on.

You also failed to follow everything Trotter said to do. You only did the first thing, what about the rest? So you dont have XP CD's, but that doesnt mean you cant go to HP's website and check for driver updates.

You also dont talk about the overheating issue since Trotter's suggestion. Along with making sure it is not on anything that can stop the flow of air from around the device have you taken the time to get a laptop cooling pad?

We want to help, but we can only help when you give all information. We cant help if you give shorthanded answers nor follow all of the advice we give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom