Devoid20

Solid State Member
Hi everyone
Recently I bought some new parts to upgrade my pc. These parts are:
-Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard 2011 Socket
-Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler
-ATI Radeon 6990
-Coolermaster 1200W Silent Pro Gold PSU
-16gb Corsair RAM (compatable with motherboard)

The parts that I'm not upgrading:
-Western Digital 1tb HDD
-Thermaltake Armor+ tower case
-All old lights, fans.
-cd drives

After I installed all the new components I turned the pc on and everything was running. So I then hooked up the monitor and the Asus logo screen came up... and blinked 3-4 times. Then another screen came up with a list of everything I had plugged in (at the bottom there was an ~CPU Fan Error!~ message but I physically saw the fan and the liquid cooler that it was connected to running so I figured this might be normal for a liquid CPU cooling setup.) At the bottom of that screen it said to press f1 to configure which I did.

The next screen had tabs, and the first 3-4 tabs had overclocking and tweaking options so I just skipped over to the last page becuase I just want to make sure my pc can run. At the last page it gives me the option to select the hard drive with which to boot up with. I only have one so I clicked on the WD drive, press enter. The screen goes black, the windows 7 loading screen comes up and when its finnished a blue screen of death pops up for only half a second and then the whole system restarts. On the monitor I get a "HMDI No Signal" message, the ASUS logo pops up and blinks strangely and then it takes me through thewhole thing again.

Does this have something to do with my HDD? Or something else? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You have changed your motherboard without reinstalling Windows, so Windows is trying to operate on the old setup but everything is different (that's the layman explanation).

You will need to reinstall Windows to configure it to your new motherboard.

This may be irrelevant since like both of them said, new mobo = new windows install. And from what I understand if it was installed from an OEM Disk then you also need a new license key because the key is linked to that PC hardware setup (mainly mobo from what I understand).

But I was just having a very similar problem where it just wanted to keep booting in a loop, would fail to launch windows but then go right back to posting and showing mobo/bios startup and try to load windows again, but fail, just kept looping.

I was trying to upgrade my HDD to an SSD, I had already planed on doing a fresh Win 7 install on the SSD but I had a few chores I wanted to do first, mainly update the firmware on the SSD. When it comes to this stuff I basically know just enough to get myself into trouble. So I got the firmware upgraded fine, almost by accident. But I had been reading everything that should be done to run properly on an SSD and keep it healthy. One of these is to switch your SATA controller from IDE to AHCI mode in the BIOS. What I failed to realize was that once you switch from IDE to AHCI your old HDD with "IDE installed" windows will NOT boot! And it just kept putting me thru the loop of trying but failing.

Another thing I just figured out that gives me this same failing boot loop... In my BIOS I have a setting called ACPI, which from what I gather is one of the "power saving" settings. Well I was trying a little overclocking and testing and figured it would be best to turn any "power saving" stuff off for the time being, since "overclock" and "save power" do not generally go together. But with ACPI disabled the machine would just do the failed boot loop. So I really dont know what this ACPI does.

I know probably none of this applies to your problem, but to stand any chance of booting off your old HDD without reinstalling Windows it may be worth looking at these settings?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-f76863e0d307

I knew about this trick when I was fully switching over to amd during the beginning of 2010.

You maybe in luck if you are still working with this installation issue.
As long as your chipset was the same as your old one and you have retail copy of windows 7, that procedure repair should fix up mostly everything.
Windows will make you do a mandoratory reactivation call to ms, just tell the automated system and rep your key was only one computer only and you had to get a new motherboard replacement.
They should gladly do that for you once they verify it and get you rolling.

You do have a low chance of that repair reinstall feature I mentioned failing.
If your parts are way to new and windows update server does not have a list of drivers for it to patch up, you will need to a normal clean install of windows and start new again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom