Question overclocking 2500K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiller.

In Runtime
I've ran into an annoying issue when overclocking this chip. The CPU Multiplier will drop a few under 100% load (40 to 39, 45 to 40, etc), which obviously shouldn't be happening. I think it's related to the power limits (Short Duration and Long Duration Power Limits) of Turbo Boost. If I leave Turbo Boost enabled, I am able to set the power limits to the maximum allowed by my BIOS (255). If I disable it, then the option to adjust the power limits disappears and I load into windows to stress test and notice that the multiplier drops under load. If I leave turbo boost enabled, then the multiplier stays constant. Is it a problem to leave turbo boost enabled if I have my multiplier set above the 4 multipliers set for turbo mode?

The BIOS settings on this motherboard are terrible btw.

Edit: After further testing, there doesn't seem to be any relationship between Turbo Boost and the multiplier dropping. At this point, I'm lost and am looking for help!
I'll post 2 pictures of the options available to me in BIOS.

Thanks for the reply. I disabled Turbo boost, but I left EIST enabled. I like the idea of throttling down when the CPU is at idle as long as that doesn't interfere with stability.

I started over because I am yet to find a stable OC at ANY speed. I finally got it stable at 4 GHz. I'm wondering if I should try to go up from here, or not.

I ran 10 passes of IBT on max stress with max temps of 68*C.

Here are the settings I used:

Internal PLL Overvoltage: disabled -------> should this be on auto, disabled, or enabled??
EIST: enabled
Intel Turbo Boost: disabled
DRAM Freq: DDR3-1600
Spread Spectrum: disabled
Vdroop control: auto -----> Should I change this to Low Vdroop, or leave on auto??
VCore: 1.28V
DRAM Volts: 1.507V

I am not sure about these, but this is my settings atm:

Limit CPUID Max: disabled
Execute Disable Bit: enabled
Intel Virtualization Tech: enabled
Intel VT-D Tech: disabled
Power Tech: custom
C1E Support: disabled
Overspeed protection: disabled
Intel C-State: enabled
Package C-State Limit: no limit

With these settings the multiplier does not drop under full load, so I guess that's a good thing. Does 1.28V seem right for 4 GHz? On this MB, the max VCore I can set is 1.35V.

Thanks in advance!

I just tested it again today with the same exact settings and it failed 10 passes of IBT at max stress. Then just for the heck of it, I reset EVERYTHING to default in BIOS including RAM to 1333 and it failed IBT on the 2nd pass on max stress.......Where do I go from here if my CPU isn't even stable at stock...?

Edit: Can the CPU Voltage set to auto cause instability? I left everything default except for CPU Voltage, which I set to 1.2V and X.M.P., which I enabled and it passed 10 runs of IBT now....

Edit 2: Nevermind. After restart, I just ran IBT again for fun with the exact same settings and it failed once again on the second pass.......I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of IBT.

I just need some tips for getting stable @ 4 GHz. I have no idea what some of these settings are in BIOS. Does Turbo Boost have to be disabled if I set the CPU Ratio to 40? what about VDroop control?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom