CPU upgrade am i right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conman

Beta member
hi guys i just bought a new VAIO and its got a Core i3 M370 @ 2.40 GHz i also bought a second hand Core i7-720QM @ 1.6 GHz according to passmark/benchmark the i7 is nearly 50% better than the i3

I just wanted to know how accurate are there marks and basically a second opinion before i actually change it in case im making a mistake

also if there might be any other problems that i might encounter when fitting or restarting after fitting that i haven't thought of i have repalced plenty of parts on laptops in the past but have never done a cpu before and i dont wana mess it up

Cheers
Conor

ita a Sony vaio VPCEB3E9E it has 8GB ram and 64Bit windows which is all i was after really just want to make sure the machine its on is able to handle i'm not really after a mad fast machine i just want a good machine at a budget price

next problem is that i bought on ebay and got a bargain and it arrived with one of the mouse buttons not working and the fella is wanting me to return all sooner than have a new mouse pad sent out to me because he knows he'll get more if he re'lists it are there any good sites for second hand sony laptop parts??

cheers
conor

ok what kind of power issues what will it do? will there not be enough power to run the i7? is there any solution

as for heat will it definitely be an issue? are there any solutions to it like better heat sink or fans? that will work in my machine? surely there has been i7's put in vaio's before

and if i was to ignore the above warning would it be a new computer i'd be looking for or a matter of replacing the i7 with the i3 if start to notice problems?

As its a laptop, its either you will or won't...

35W vs 45W maybe more than your laptop can handle.

Check what power adapters each come with.

Also, the Sony BIOS might not recognize the i7... You really need alot more research.

from what research i have done on it (not much to be honest) the only problems that every one seems to mention are the socket type and how to apply the thermal paste socket type's correct and the i7 is for a laptop(not desktop) and i have thermal paste nobody has mentioned any thing about power adapters
as for the BIOS any that i have seen done or heard of being done the bios picked it up its self on restart but they were different models of i3/i5/i7 processors and laptop combos but on each one it was an i for an i and no BIOS problems but then the people that feck it up probably dont tell to many lol

agh Crap!!

done some more reading and got lots of people saying no and lots of reasons why so i think i'll be puttin it back on fleebay (any one else ever get the feel the ebay and paypal are the only earners from 80% of the stuff on there??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom