How to install a second video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueZ4

Solid State Member
Before I get the post: "Use the search tool", please read below.

I am running windows 7 on a dell pc. I currently have a Quaddro 480 video card with 2 monitors hooked up. I have 1 PCI and 1 AGP slot available. I want to hook up a 3rd monitor for work purposes. The most intensive program I use is Solidworks 2011. Everything else is 2D.

I am concerned with the software side of installing a cheapy video card to run a 3rd monitor. I'm not too savvy with software conflicts, updating drivers, etc. I want to order a video card online and have it work correctly the first time.

Do I need to go with the same brand?
I've read the PCI slots are interlinked somehow, so should I get an AGP card?
Is there any software I need?
Do video cards work the same as hard drives where you have to use the jumpers to set one to slave and one to master?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I want to thoroughly research this before I start ordering things.

Thanks!

The dell model is a Dell Precision T7500.

My video card is a Quadro FX 580, not a 480. It has 2 digital and 1 analog, but the software supports only 2 displays at one time from what I've read. I've tried to hook a 3rd up, but it wasn't able to see all 3 simultaneously.

Thanks for your help so far.

I see 2 free PCI slots, but the Quaddro FX 580 is installed in the bottom slot and a little too close to the middle slot. I don't think I can use this slot. So now I just have 1 PCI and 1 AGP slot.

Yep, that's the one I have. The video card is pretty close to one of the PCI slots. On my first pass of the motherboard, I only saw one of each port. Getting closer to it with a flashlight this time, I see all of the available slots.

For me, this makes it even more confusing. How do I know which card to get? I see the onboard VGA connection as well. Would it be possible to use this for the 3rd monitor?

Will windows 7 automatically recognize the second video card or will they conflict? Do I need to do anything with the drivers or install special software? Thanks again,

You're not seeing a 3rd monitor output support with the bios on this particular model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom