Home Work System Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangaroo

Daemon Poster
I basically know what I need, so please feel free to recommend anything. DDR or DDR2 better? Should I get the latest motherboard? PCI-E etc?

I need a system that can handle massive multi-tasking and easily handle huge databasing - also 2D and 3D animation, nothing too fancy, just basic stuff.

What I had in mind is (btw my price limit is ~£1500 ($2800 USD):

560 Intel Pentium® 4 LGA 775 CPU (3.60 Ghz 800FSB) HT 1MB Cache or 3.2GHz Intel Pentium® 4 CPU "Prescott" (800FSB) HT 1MB Cache. This is my first Intel CPU, so I am not sure which class is better for multi-tasking and overall speed.

2x Corsair XMS 512MB (1024MB) DDR2 5400, 64Mx64, non-ECC, 240 Pin,unbuffered,4-4-4-12, Heat Spreader, Lifetime Warranty - any suggestions?

2x 200Gb (400Gb) Maxtor Plus 10 (7200rpm,8MB) SATA - RAID -0 using onboard probably.

What motherboard?? I would like MSI or Asus really, but will take any other suggestions.

128MB XFX PCI-E GForce 6600GT Tv DVI??? Or should I just stick with an AGP card? Was thinking about getting a 256MB Power Color Radeon X700 PRO PCI-E.

Other things such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, case, power supply, DVD writer, floppy etc have already been decided.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Looks pretty good, although I would stay away from XFX brand video cards. I have heard nothing but trouble with them.

Looks very nice!
I would personally get the 256MB 6800GT, you won't be disappointed with that ;)

If you wanted to get an Asus mobo then here's the one for you.

There is an intel mobo out that can support 1066 MHz FSB, but you need an P4 EE cpu which is really expensive.

800 MHz FSB should do just fine, though.

For most socket 775 mobos, you can't get an AGP vid card, so you'll have to get a PCI-E card. I'm not sure which of the 2 that you picked is better, though.

Also, most socket 775s only support DDR2.

Between the 2 CPUs, I'm not sure which will be better, but maybe http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html will.

So a 560 Intel Pentium® 4 LGA 775 CPU (3.60 Ghz 800FSB) HT 1MB Cache and a 256MB Power Color Radeon X700 PRO PCI-E would be my best option?

Thanks Elbatrop1, that motherboard looks very nice :)

Does anyone know the overclockability of the 775 class Pentiums? What temperatures do they hold?

dont go the x700 it has horrible performance for its price i suggest the 6600GT or 6800/gt for pcie

EDIT: as for overclockability ive seen nothing but complaints about extreme heat from them even at stock, however they are releasing a new stepping to help end a big part of this heating problem... it supposedly will lower the processors actual speed once it hits a certain temp, so if you are encoding video or such and your cpu begins to overheat it will lower froma 3.8 ghz to something more mild like 3.2-3.6 ghz to help your cpu cool down.

All P4's have self monitoring abilities. If the core temp gets too hot, the CPU will throttle itself back down to cool off. That's a standard P4 feature. I myself have never heard of the heat problems you speak of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom