HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC ( split screen problem(6 mini screens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanodgreat23

Beta member
ok so im new here at TF and good day to all of you. last week, while i was playing Silkroad-R , my computer screen suddenly turned black as if it was turning to sleep mode and then restarted by itself. then after the restart the 6 mini screens showed up. i managed to temporarily fix it numerous times. the first time is when i inserted an xp installation cd and then rebooted my laptop and the mini screens were gone. after about 3 hours it showed again! the second time i fixed it was when i used the system restore . the third time is when i spammed it with restart til i get a good screen. up to now it is still split screens but i can use it in normal and safe mode. ( although i have to adjust in typing with a 6 way screen LOL) soo.. as i searched through the net many solutions were there and the common solution i keep seeing is that i need to open the insides of my laptop and clean the chipset in my motherboard and graphics chipset. also, whenever i install abg antivirus to replace my nortron (expired) when i restart my laptop it fails to boot properly and startup repair will just wipe the last installed program i made. so i hope someone can help me (sorry for bad english) TIA

Welcome! :)

What are "mini screens"? Never heard that phrase before.

Did you first uninstall Norton? Norton and AVG may be fighting against each other.

Next thing I would check, is what temps are you getting? Show us a screenshot of HWMonitor. This may be due to overheating.

well, when i uninstall nortron and i restart my laptop, blue screen error appears and i can't catch the name of the error because of the split screen. also whenever i download anything from the net the next restart would always activate the startup repair and restore back to the time before the download completed. as for now, im using it along with the split screen which makes it hard to read things and disabled nvidia geforce 8400m gs because when i enable it my laptop would not boot to win 7 only in safe mode. so there , can't think of any ways on how to fix this thing, been bugging me for a while now. i have tried many things or solutions i found on the net but none worked permanently. some worked temporarily like 1 hr and those are : heating of laptop then restart , result is a good fixed screen but after some time it stopped working . i saw some solution involving opening of laptop and clearing my BIOS and wiping the surface of my nvidia chipset and motherboard chipset. any help would be appreciated. sorry for bad english. and about that screenshot of temp, how to do it? :D

With hardware monitor, if you can download it, when it's up and running hit the Prt Src button, (i think it's FN + Insert) and then open up paint, CRTL + V and then upload it to a site like imageshack or something.

Could you describe this 6 mini screen thing a bit more? I can't say I've ever heard of anything even remotely close to that :p

It could be an issue with overheating, but it's wierd that sometimes it goes and sometimes it doesn't which leads me to believe it could be a more serious hardware issue, either ram, hard drive, or possibly the CPU. We'll start with the easy stuff first, as it's easy :p . Post up a screenshot of HW monitor running, and if it's overheating we'll go from there and you won't need to do the rest of the stuff (maybe). Download memtest86+ and then burn the IMAGE onto a cd. It's crucial that you just don't copy the files onto a cd, use a program like poweriso to make a bootable image, restart and then run a couple passes on that see if your ram checks out. then move onto the hard drive, I'm pretty sure there's a good sticky on here for hard drive utilities, I'll search for it in a second and post it in here. If that checks out, I'd try and reinstalling your OS, you may just have a nasty virus or something that's screwing with your OS.

ok so the downloading part, as i've said earlier, whenever i download anything i mean ANYTHING it always boot with startup repair saying that recent software or hardware change misght have caused the problem so, masybe i'll try reinstalling os and i'll post updates. btw, thanks for the answers. :D

Yeah if you can reinstall the OS that'd be my go to right off. Also if you have access to another computer download it on there and then use a flash drive to install and run it.

another update : when i try to reformat my OS to win xp sp2 this message shows "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

also when my laptop sometimes overheat, good screen appear but when i enable my nvidia geforce 8400m gs on the device manager, it crashes after restart. :D

*bump as i've ventured deep into the root of the problem through the net, i fount out that the source of my problem probably is because of the loose soldering of the GPU. i need to re-ball it somehow so im thinking of taking this to a local tech.

I don't think a local tech will resolder the gpu. You may have to call up HP and see if they can do anything for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom