Need help upgrading my laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoftcorePwn

Beta member
I recently got a new laptop, and while I'm having fun with it, I'd still like to give it a little more kick. I've been trying to figure out what I need to upgrade for increased performance, but I don't know much about the tech, so I'm hoping to find some people more knowledgeable than myself.

This is my current setup:

alienware m11x R3
intel (R) core i7 processor
8 GB ram
nvidia geforce GT 540M that I use for gaming in addition to the integrated GPU
128gb ssd

I've been trying to run the Witcher 2 on this and it's playable on low settings, but the framerate drops whenever I get outside and the serious lighting effects kick in. I know it's a fairly intensive game to run, but I thought I should give some benchmark for what I'm able to do right now. So: What do I need to upgrade? anything? everything? I really don't know much about this kind of stuff, so any suggestions/help would be appreciated. And if there's any other relevant hardware I need to post, please let me know!

you're not gonna like this answer, but basically what you need to do to increase performance is buy a new laptop. Laptops are extremely hard to upgrade with the exception of ram, hard drives, and the cpu, all of which upgrading won't give you improved performance. The only thing you'll really see an upgrade from is the GPU and the GPU is generally soldered onto the mainboard, or it's a proprietary connection and you won't be able to upgrade it. SO either enjoy it where it's at, run lower settings with a lower res, or sell the laptop and get something that's more powerful, but that seems to be a pretty high end setup so I wouldn't try and sell it to improve performance.

If you really want gaming performance get a desktop.

You can upgrade the CPU on most, unless they are soldered, like an Atom. But what you can upgrade it to is limiting and totally not worth a few more Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom