15,000 RPM Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpage01

Baseband Member
Im new here and i want to know what the harddrive speed means.

Would it play faster games than a 10000 or 7200 rpm hard drive?

Thanks guys

it just accesses files faster, spins up faster, transfers files faster (usually)...stuff liek that. it won't necessarily run any game faster...but it might load the menu screens up faster and can hand over executibles faster to your computer to use. i use a 7200RPM drive...always have, and i wouldn't go with anything faster unless the prices went down.

Cpage01,

RPM - Rotation/Revolution[dunno which one for sure] Per Minute. The measurement of how fast the disc platter inside your Hard Disk Drive rotates. Higher the RPM, higer the performance.
So, if the disc rotates fast, the required information can be fetched easily from the disc.i.e increases the data transfer!

Sign
Codes:)

Well, 15,000 RPM is pointless as I see it, like $300 more for the HDD, then shell out another $200 for a card that support's it. I'm look at the WD 10,000 RPM, no add on card, more $$$ but also a moderate performance increase...
Yan

I personally think the faster the hard drive the better.. My next system will utilize 15,000rpm SCSI drives. It won't do any good to have a fast CPU/Memory if the storage device that feeds them is relatively slow. My hard drive has a sustained transfer rate of 88MB/s, and that's still a bottle neck on my system. My CPU's never reach 100% utilization, because the hard drive's can't keep up with them.

It wouldn't increase the performance of the game during play, but it would certainly cut the loading times, possibly in half.

Yes, you are correct. That's what you normally are waiting for anyway. That, and if they system does use the swap, you won't really notice it. My RAID systems throughput is faster than a single 15k drive. I can imagine what a performance increase I would get if I put SCSI in RAID. :)

Yeah the 10,000 RPM's are good for formatting windows. Takes like 10-15 mins to do a complete install which is nice...not only that, but it usually only takes like one or two swipes of the blue bar across the bottom and windows is up and loaded. Like everyone else said, it's just the waiting time for windows to load, games to load, files being copied over...etc...etc.... it'll have nothing to do with gameplay.

My CPU's never reach 100% utilization, because the hard drive's can't keep up with them.
If you mean simply from copying over files, then neither does my computer....there's not enough calculations in simply moving files that requires processor power....that's purely up to the whim of the HD and how fast it works.....when I copied a 3gb file over it just took a long time for my two hard drives to copy the file from one to the other, did nothing to my CPU as far as utilization.

Yes, however the more throughput you putout the more CPU will have to be used, DMA or not. What is the sustained transfer rate of your current drive(s)?

Usually when the drive is coping data into the RAM, it is then being used right away.. This utilizes the CPU..

What is the sustained transfer rate of your current drive(s)?
Haven't done any benches for that so honestly I don't know, probably not great because the drives are somewhat old.

Usually when the drive is coping data into the RAM, it is then being used right away.. This utilizes the CPU..
Yeah if it's copied to the RAM then the CPU would communicate with it, but I've never moved anything that's required heavy use of the RAM or CPU....not simply moving files anyway..... Deleting them yeah it does use CPU power I've noticed, quite a bit more than simply copying them over...

I assume with a 10,000 RPM drive deleting files would go much quicker too, but I haven't had a lot of time to mess with those drives, I built a comp for someone that had 2 of them and they were nice, but I didn't get a chance to really 'test drive' them I guess cause I had to send his comp to him :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom