Future proofing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
Id like to know what to do with my taxes. I have enough for either a 7970 or a decent i7 and pcie 3.0 mobo. Id like to go amd but they dont have any pcie 3 compatible boards, that I'm aware of. Should i wait for some amd boards to come out, or should I jump ship and go with the i7 and gen3 combo and save up for that purrty 7970? Or is pcie 3 something to not buy into just quite yet? Perhaps pcie 3 is the NEXT major upgrade? Thanks guys!

Lord only knows when PCIe is going to be necessary. And honestly with Intel IB coming in a few months there will probably be a new chipset with it as well anyway.
I haven't heard about AM4 boards yet (if that is the name they go with), though I don't really follow AMD that closely, but I would assume they will be sporting PCIe 3.0.

Honestly 7970 is probably your best bet, unless you want to wait for Nvidia's 6## series.

Well in the last few minutes of my work week, reading other threads on here. I think ive decided to upgrade to an ssd first. And then that will satisfy my upgrade cravings till pcie 3 AMD boards come out, and do a little more shopping. Thanks for the input.

futureproofing is impossible. It's impossible to judge when the right moment to jump on new products is. It's better to just buy stuff and upgrade what you need/want to upgrade ^.^

Current cards do not saturate a PCIe 2 lane, so PCIe 3 is not really a big deal to worry about. Just sayin'. ;)

Just remember future proofing is really not possible , as new and better hardware constantly is arriving.

Getting the best bang for your buck is a better way of thinking about it.

I agree with the ssd idea if you need an upgrading crave curbed :grin:

I never really wanted one when the large TB 7200rpm drives were cheap, but when the prices went out rageous I bought an ssd.

I love it and would like to have a bigger one....but just having my os on it is really, really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom