Installed new RAM, windows didn't recognized it...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neolexia

Solid State Member
I just got some RAM in the mail today for an old laptop of mine (Acer Aspire 5334).. I got 2GB of DDR3 10600 to double my already 2GB of ram in the computer. (I checked crucial, the laptop hold 4GB total). I installed it correctly, popped it in, it's sitting in there sturdy but my computer says im still running 2GB?

What happened?

I've changed memory on a ton of computers/laptops but never encountered a problem with it. Is it dead RAM or could it just be the laptop..?

Edit - the 2GB stick already in the computer is DDR 3 10600S... the new ram isn't "S" but i never heard of that not working together (I also never heard of 10600S though either)?

The only thing I found was this.
http://www.moynetworks.com/knowledgebase/SinglevsDualRAM.pdf

It looks like it's some designation of how the chips are installed on the PCB. It's either single sided, or single chips on each side. If you can, take a picture of the ram chips (one of each, the stock and the crucial) and we can look at them to verify if that is indeed what the S stands for. I can't imagine that it would cause an issue because that article says a mix is what servers should run. Run just the crucial and see if that ram posts and works and all that, and then that should answer your question of if it's a compatibility issue.

Just left Geek Squad; my Bios was outdated. They updated it for free and now my computer recognizes the extra 2GB. Thanks anyways guys & thanks Geek Squad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom