win 7 harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcbuilder

Baseband Member
I am building a desktop and all I need is an os and an hd to complete it. I found that I could get a hard drive with windows 7 preinstalled on it. Would I be able to use that harddrive to build the computer without reinstalling the operating system?

A windows 7 license is needed to use windows 7, the licenses to windows 7 are tied to the motherboards so if you have just built your desktop your motherboard won't have a license. So no, buying a hdd with windows installed on it will not work, you need to buy the os separately and then install it on the hard drive.

Even if that weren't the case I would recommend against it. I have reinstalled my OS several times for various reasons. If your hard drive were ever to crash you'd be left without an OS again. If you ever wanted to reinstall, you'd have no OS to do so. In general you want to always have a way to reinstall your OS. It makes life simpler. :)

I found that I could get a hard drive with windows 7 preinstalled on it.

That sounds like a scam. Don't buy a hard drive with windows installed on it. Windows is configured to your specific hardware when it is installed. Whoever installed windows onto the hard drive has windows configured to their computer. It's possible that the "windows" on the hard drive will not work at all, or may throw many errors at you.
Usually at some point you have to reinstall/reformat. Without a disc this is impossible. Also, who is selling this? It isn't likely trustworthy unless it's from a reputable seller or well established store. The hard drive could come with any amount of malware pre installed on it, also, the windows may not be legit.

This is it
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160725763236&index=0&nav=BIDDING&nid=70867307783

lol.
What a shady story, do not buy that drive.
Ebay_Description said:
I am selling my formatted hard drive with a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit ultimate edition. I lost the serial key. But the hard drive has it. The manufacture date of the hard drive is July 2011 and was never used but is not in original packaging. I will include a Sata Wire with the drive.
His hard drive has a fresh install of windows on it. The hard drive was never used, yet has an operating system installed onto it.
so...
He had a unused hard drive. He installed Windows 7 64bit ultimate, more then doubling the cost of the drive. He then lost the CD and the serial.
The hard drive, in completely unused condition is worth~$100. The operating system costs $190. That's for OEM too, retail would be quite a bit more.

I say hes lying and likely has a illegal windows on it as jason mentioned.
Do NOT buy that hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom