256+256+128=640MB SDRAM
ATI Rage IIC
Nvidia TNT2 Pro - I chose to use the TNT2 Pro over the ATI Rage IIC
not sure what motherboard
8x CDR/RW
sound card, NIC, modem
and I'm using my 21" monitor which I bought a while ago

first of all, what do you think of it all, for $100 aus

it has only 1 IDE cable but there are 2 IDE channels, I set the HDD to master and the CD burner to slave
when I got it all together and booted, it went through POSTing and didn't detect my HDD or the CD burner
it gave me the messages: primary master HDD fail, and that was with the HDD on the secondary channel too
and I got: floppy disk drive fail <- that's probbably because I haven't got one in it
so now I'm gonna get a new cable to test if it is the IDE cable, if it isn't, then I've got an extra IDE cable and I can run the HDD and CD burner on different channels, but I'd need to get a PCI IDE controller
but if it is the cable, then I'll be set
what do you guys think it is, the cable or the controller?

get another ribbon cable put the HD on the Primary (Master) and the IDE on the secondary as a Master.Untill you get a floppy disable it in bios .I think its F1 key to get to bios on that system

actually it's 'delete' on my system
maybe I'll try disabling the floppy for now

Worst case scenario I'll prolly be running the drives off a PCI IDE card

$75 for a full blown comp aint bad, considering it's so damn old....I say $75 cause you said it's roughly 76 cents US for an Australian dollar so $100 aus = $75 US, but yeah either way seems fair enough. As to whether its the cable or what, I suppose your only best bet is to simply start troubleshootin ;)

I'll agree with Cappy. A hard drive and a CD-ROM shouldn't ever be on the same channel, it would slow performance down when playing a game that uses a CD. Also put both the CD ROM and hard drive on cable select. That way the computer will decide where to put them.
Hope that helps a bit.

unfortunately I have no choice ATM with only one cable, but after I get another IDE cable, if it turns out to be a problem with the cable I have now, I will prolly get another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom