Upgrading AMD 965 to AMD 1090T BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I was thinking about swapping my AMD 965 BE over to the AMD 1090T BE to get six-core performance. Here's my setup:
AMD 965 BE (3.41GHz)
ASUS Crosshair III Formula
12GB Ram
ATI 5770 (Sapphire)

Right now it rates 7.4 in Windows "Experience" Index. But I'm more looking for faster performance COMPILING software, video encoding, and game performance.

Is this what I want to aim at? Or is 6 core a waste? I was thinking I can overclock this to about 4.0GHz fairly easily, which is why I wanted to get the BE.

My goal is:
1. Faster compiling times (not that it's bad right now)
2. Faster encoding times (it is pretty slow ATM with Adobe Premier)
3. Better game performance (without upgrading anything but CPU)
Most games give me GREAT performance, but I'd like to have a bit smoother (heavy action drops FPS considerably, might be my GPU tho)

What would you do? My limit is about $180, which is exactly where the 1090T BE sits at.

i dont think you will see any noticeable improvement in the encoding going from the 965 to the 1090. it looks like from here: AMD's Phenom II X6 processors - The Tech Report - Page 11
that you will go from 72.4 to 73.5 fps processing. you get worse performance when using just 4 threaded applications.

as for the game performance, odds are the game isnt using more than 2 cores so the gpu is definitely holding back your expectations.

GPU would also be my first thought. Unless you are playing BF3 (which will utilize a hex core), the extra cores won't do a lot for you.

If you are willing to take the chance on a refurb card and can scratch up an extra $10... Newegg.com - Refurbished: PNY RVCGGTX560TXXB-OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Otherwise a GTX 560 would be your best bet... Newegg.com - Galaxy 56NGH6HS3KXZ GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I don't really need to upgrade my video card, I don't feel it is necessary. I do play battlefield 3, but the latest patches made it horrible. And all the other games I play I already get insane fps:
RE5: 60+
L4D2: 80+
GangWars: 80+
BF3: 50+ maxed
etc.

I'm really looking for faster encoding, and faster compile times. Looks like my best bet is to wait until I build a new PC. Or maybe I could slap a new GPU but I really honestly don't need it :O

i dont think you will see any noticeable improvement in the encoding going from the 965 to the 1090. it looks like from here: AMD's Phenom II X6 processors - The Tech Report - Page 11
that you will go from 72.4 to 73.5 fps processing. you get worse performance when using just 4 threaded applications.

as for the game performance, odds are the game isnt using more than 2 cores so the gpu is definitely holding back your expectations.

if you look @ pass 2, the 6 core 1090t is roughly 27% faster than the 965.
pass 2 is the "real" encoding part.

pass 1 is goes through the whole video and calculates what bit rate/ quality to encode the video at.
pass 2 is where the actual encode/transcoding happens.

if you are encoding a 1080p, 4 hour long video like me.
143gm8j.jpg

it could be a difference of 11 hours or 8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom