Future Upgrade/Finish My Build Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mischa

Just Epic.
So I am probably going to overclock my cpu but to do so I need/want to get better cooling (I have the stock cooler at the moment). So I need opinions on what to get water or air. I will get something good as I never see the point in buying something cheap especially for cooling (im going to try and get around 70-80 pounds for the cooler). So i guess the real question is H80, H100 or DH-14. The only thing with the H80 and 100 is I will have to lose the top two 200mm fans on the nzxt phantom.

Now for the GPU, I have a problem. The wireless card I have uses the pci slot underneath where my second GPU will go so I cant SLI if I ever want as a second card wont fit because of the fans on it. So my question is what are my options apart from the obvious dont SLI or remove the wireless card and use a usb??

All i can think of is to get a water loop to cool the GPU SLI, and if im going to get a water loop i may aswell use it to cool the CPU aswell which would also take care of what to get as a CPU cooler.

Any help/suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance. :)

Its really 50/50 between the NH-D14 and H80 in my opinion since they cool about the same.
The real questions are:
1) Did you get normal Corsair Vengeance RAM or low-profile? If normal will the NH-D14 have the clearance it needs?
2) If you mount the H80 can you leave 1 of the 200mm up top, and would you have a place to mount the spare, and do you care?
3) If you decide on the H100, do you even have a place to mount it? (usually goes up top).

As to the SLi problem there is another option; sell your PCI wireless card and get a USB one.
Water cooling is certainly an option though. I would highly suggest doing a bit of research first so you know what you're getting yourself in to.

1) the normal vengeance, I will check tomorrow if it will have enough room.
2)it wouldn't be the end of the world not having both fans and I think with the h80 one of the fans will still mount
3)the H100 will mount in my case for sure, up on top like you said.

I don't really want to sell the card for a USB as I said in my first post, it works great and has 5ghz which I know a few usb's support but they are about 30-40 pound and I have had usbs before and I have (well, my family have) accidentally broken two of them which would be a waste of money. I have researched a bit into water cooling, as far as I'm concerned it is expensive but will cool both gpus and my CPU very well. Can someone explain the advantages of a multi loop over single loop and what extra parts you would need? Also roughly how much would I be looking at for a decent water loop (I don't need anything extreme just something to give me reasonable temps on my i5 (when overclocked) and my gpus)?

Again thanks for any help you guys can give.

EDIT: think I am going to go with a water loop(s), if i am running SLI and my CPU on the loop will it still work well or would you recommend a dual loop, one for CPU and one for SLI GPU. Same question as above still needs answering though, what extra parts are needed for a dual loop? Single loop will probably be the better option mainly because it will be less hassle and im new to this plus want to keep the cost down.

Radiator: EK-CoolStream RAD XT 360

Tubing: 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Masterkleer PVC Tubing UV Dark Red - 3.3 Metre Retail Pack - Computers & Components(Central) Ltd

Reservoir: XSPC Acrylic Dual Bay Reservoir For Laing D5 - Computers & Components(Central) Ltd

Pump: Alphacool VPP655 - Single Edition - Computers & Components(Central) Ltd

CPU Block: EK-Supreme HF - Acetal + EN (Nickel) CPU Water Block Easy Mount Sockets 775 1155 1156 1366 AM2 AM3 939 XEON - Computers & Components (Central) Ltd

GPU Block: EK-VGA Supreme HF - Acetal+EN (Nickel) - Computers & Components (Central) Ltd

GPU Mounting Block: EK Mounting Plate VGA Supreme HF GF460 - Computers & Components(Central) Ltd

Coolant: Not sure.

I have never done liquidcooling before and therefore dont know much about the best parts etc. that work together. Is everything above compatible with the rig in my sig? I will be mounting the rad inside the phantom at the top and dont mind modding my case for it to fit. Second will these parts cool my i5 and 560ti well and an extra 560ti in the future? Thirdly, can anyone suggest different parts (cheaper is definitely welcome, especially if there are cheaper parts that will do a decent job)? And last question what barbs and accessories do i need to fit everything together (except for the rad fans), i think i need 1/2" barbs but how many?

I wont be buying this now as I have no money after building my pc, im just trying to get an idea of what to get so i can buy when i get the money :). As always thanks for any help/suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom