Not booting with GTX 560 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbins644

Beta member
Hey all, I've just bought myself a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti graphics card and when I try to boot I get nothing at all on the monitor. The tower lights up and all the fans spin but the monitor light just keeps blinking as if it's in power saving mode, or is just receiving no signal. I took the card back to the shop thinking it might be faulty but they tested it and it's fine. I have an MSI P45 Neo3 motherboard with the latest BIOS update (1.A0), a Thermaltake Toughpower 700W PSU, 6 Gig RAM and a Core2 Duo E8400 CPU. That should be ok, right? The PSU has 2 12v 18 amp rails. I've tried the dedicated 12v PCI-E connectors and the 4-pin adapters that came with the card. Any advice on what I can try before taking the computer to the shop for them to have a look? Thanks.

Your PSU has a lot more than 2 12 volt rails. ~36amps would be really low for a 700w power supply.
"+3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@18A, +12V4@18A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A"
Newegg.com - Thermaltake toughpower W0105RU 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Try reseating the card, and making sure that all cables are connected securely. Both the cable end plugging into the monitor, and the one plugging into the computer. Also, double check that the PCI-E connectors are secured.

I've definitely got all the cables connected and the card seated. I've had it in and out about 5 times now. When I put my old 7600GT back in it works perfectly. I'm stumped. Maybe there is something wrong with the PSU? This is the first time I've used the PCI-E connections. It came with two color-coded cables, red on the PSU to black on the card. I've made sure to clip them in properly. I don't really know much about this stuff. Just what I've researched after having this problem. Just enough to be dangerous...

Do the fans on the GPU spin - just to see if it is getting any power at all. I am running a 560ti (448 core) with my 600 watt PSU without any trouble - so I doubt it is a power issue unless a cable or connector is damage or something like that. Have you run CPUZ to see if the GPU is listed? I had to get into my Bios to make my ASRock motherboard recognize the new GPU.

Your symptoms sound similar to what I experienced when I upgraded to my GTX 460. I had a 600w PSU with an AMD Quad Core @ 2.8ghz and 2GB of ram. I had to swap out my power supply to an 800w to get everything running correctly. Probably overkill on my part, according to reviews, that power supply takes about 170w total power supply. It also uses 2 6pin power connectors.

I don't see anything "wrong" with your power supply, do you have a spare 700w? If not, try doing the basic things such as:
Unplugging your ram sticks to one ram stick
Unplugging your hard drives to one hard drive
Unplugging your optical drives

Every time you unplug a device, piece of equipment, power it back on and see if you get any video.

Do the fans on the GPU spin - just to see if it is getting any power at all. I am running a 560ti (448 core) with my 600 watt PSU without any trouble - so I doubt it is a power issue unless a cable or connector is damage or something like that. Have you run CPUZ to see if the GPU is listed? I had to get into my Bios to make my ASRock motherboard recognize the new GPU.
Yep, both fans spin. I can't get into the BIOS though, let alone the OS. The monitor seems to get no signal and I see nothing at all on it. Put the 7600GT back in and it works every time. I tried unplugging everything bar one hard-drive and did get something on screen once. Just some quick system info at the top-left. Then a blinking underline cursor for about 20 seconds until I just switched it off. Still no actual BIOS. Tried it again and got nothing. Put the 7600GT back and booted straight up. That makes me somewhat suspicious of the PSU.

Your symptoms sound similar to what I experienced when I upgraded to my GTX 460. I had a 600w PSU with an AMD Quad Core @ 2.8ghz and 2GB of ram. I had to swap out my power supply to an 800w to get everything running correctly. Probably overkill on my part, according to reviews, that power supply takes about 170w total power supply. It also uses 2 6pin power connectors. I don't see anything "wrong" with your power supply, do you have a spare 700w? If not, try doing the basic things such as: Unplugging your ram sticks to one ram stick Unplugging your hard drives to one hard drive Unplugging your optical drives Every time you unplug a device, piece of equipment, power it back on and see if you get any video.
Yeah, I think it may be the PSU. Guess I'll just have to go back to the shop and let them take a look. Don't want to splash out and it not actually be that. Thanks, everyone.

When I recently upgraded I blew out my PSU which I thought had plenty of power for a similar build... always seems like that's the culprit.

@muckman2
That's usually the result of a low quality power supply.

Your 560 ti could be ran off of a quality 500w, maybe even a 400w.
The card draws 230 watts, and your processor draws 65 watts.
ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Direct Cu II 1 GB Review - Page 26/32 | techPowerUp
Intel® Core

I'm willing to bet that the video card is the culprit.
Did you follow basic ESD procedures? Such as: grounding yourself constantly, not touching any computer component while on carpet, grounding tools constantly, etc.
A static shock that humans cannot feel can still kill hardware.
Anti-Static and Safety Precautions
high voltage misconceptions: static electricity

"I'm willing to bet that the video card is the culprit" - do you mean the GPU is bad? Didn't he say he brought it back and had it tested and it was OK. Or do you mean the GPU is stressing the PSU - exposing the weakness of the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom