need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

grservices

Solid State Member
am new to the forums and am a gray headed elder with very limited computer knowledge and on a limited income. Have an Aspire M5620 with 300 w power, Nividia 8600 ct card and intel Core2Quad. Need some adive as to possible upgrades on power supply, graphics card and cpu. Any help would be graetly appreciated

Welcome to Tech-Forums, grservices!!!

What is the purpose of the computer if I may ask? This will help determine what possible upgrades you may need.

Do you know how much RAM you have? And what is your budget? You may just need a better graphics card.

3 g ddd2 and have researched other cards but it seems like i need to up the cps to at least 400w to handle an up-graded card. have limited founds but what i can spend will depend on what i can get

As for RAM, this is what your board can handle:

Up to 4 GB of DDR2 667/800 MHz SDRAM
(dual-channel support on four DIMMs)

So you could go for up to 4 x 1GB. What are your current DIMMs? If you have 3GB in four DIMMs I am guess 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB. Check the speeds of your sticks... if you can go with all four as DDR2 800 you will be as good as you can get with RAM.

A C2Q should be plenty for Civ V, BTW.

A better GFX card will entail a better PSU, as b1gapl already pointed out.

grservices said:
The specs say 1 PCI Expressx16 slot and 1 PCI Expressx1 slot. Would this make any difference?
The graphic card I suggested is an x16 card. An x1 card would be more of an expansion card, such as a sound card or usb/sata controller. You can actually run an x1 card in an x16 slot, but you want an x16 card and that's what HD 6670 is.

Ditto on what Trotter said about RAM.

appreciate all the info. will have to save up but will probably do the upgrade on power and card

there are 4 slot, 2 paired with 3 Samsung 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300U-55-12-E3 and operating 32bit Vista. will adding 1 addition stick be of much good by itself. thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom