Critique My First Build! (Thoughts?) (Will Buy Soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the i5 CPU goes... That's a for sure no.
I do a ton of video editing/encoding/flash generating and multitasking.
The x4core 3.6 fx is simply much better for my general needs.

I'll be gaming 30% of the time, with the other 70% video editing, working, etc etc.

I'll be gaming 30% of the time, with the other 70% video editing, working, etc etc.

I wouldn't be so sure on that.
The i5 at 2.8Ghz outperforms the 4100fx at 3.6Ghz. Not all CPUs are created equally. Ghz no longer is the only factor for speed.
PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2300+@+2.80GHz
vs
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4100+Quad-Core

In general, bulldozer isn't bad, but it was over-hyped and was a let down. Last I read it performed up to 7% faster than it's previous phenom counter part. In some cases, it actually trailed behind. For now, Intel is ahead.

Regarding you being partial to ATI/AMD video cards.
The 6950 and the 560 Ti trade blows from benchmark to benchmark. They are essentially equivalent.
This would likely be a very nice overclocker sue to the Twin Frozr 3 cooler on it.
Newegg.com - MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1G/OC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

H. 264 2500k vs Fx 4100 - 2500k is 50% faster.
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer Processor Review - x264 HD Encoding - Legit Reviews
AMD FX 8150 - 8120 - 6100 and 4100 performance review
[Phoronix] AMD FX-4100 Bulldozer Review
AMD FX-8120, AMD FX-6100 and AMD FX-4100 CPUs Review. Page 7 - X-bit labs

Handbrake - 2500k is roughly 40% faster.
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer Processor Review - Handbrake - Legit Reviews

mediashow expresso - 2500k 30% faster.
AMD FX 8150 - 8120 - 6100 and 4100 performance review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, front mounted dual USB 3.0

Newegg.com - HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Subtotal: $862.92
EMCNJHF28 Discount From Promo Code -$10.00
EMCNJHF32 Discount From Promo Code -$10.00
EMCNJHF46 Discount From Promo Code -$10.00
Grand Total: $845.37

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't have the know how?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=BFp&list=PL8AB14DC3472E3A36
bonus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPQW0e9ufM

don't have the tools?
all you need is a Phillips screwdriver. (and maybe a anti static wristband.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
  • 8 gigs of memory - will benefit you a lot for video editing.
  • faster processor - less rendering time, better gaming performance, and power savings.
  • free dirt 3 game.
  • free corel editing software.
  • better power supply
  • better case
  • the know how of building your own pc - easily fix anything if **** goes wrong, instead of paying for technical support down the road.
  • knowing you are more capable than a monkey.
con:
  • you are a klutz and ****s up installation - wasted hundred of dollars.
  • knowing a monkey is more capable.

The radeon 6950 is practically the same speed wise as a 560ti. And same price roughly as well. Other than that I +1 Ghost's build.

Here's what I've decided on, it's putting a strain on my computer budget, so I can't afford any more "upgrades" without taking away from something else. I'm buying from CyberPowerPC.com.
Anywhere you see I can save money, and still get great gaming/video editing performance?
Anywhere that's almost necessary to upgrade?
Thoughts?

• Tower/Case (includes Blue Neon Lights, Temp Gauge, Fan Speed Gauge, and VU Gauge): ~85.00
    19965.jpg

Case Dimensions (Image Link)

• CPU: ~$109
    AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache
  • MOTHERBOARD: ~$70.00
    [CrossFireX] MSI 970A-G45 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ OC Genie II, Winki 3, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
  • RAM/MEMORY: ~$25.00
    4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • VIDEO CARD/GPU: ~175.00
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe
  • POWER SUPPLY: ~80.00
    700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
  • HARDDRIVE: ~125.00
    500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

+ Fee for building and shipping over the internet.
(I don't have the tools or the know-how to build it myself.)

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm no expert on building computers, so any input about what I could save money on, or what I NEED to upgrade would be fantastic!

Current Approx. Price, Including all fees and shipping:
~$850.00

Just an FYI, that case is garbage, and way overpriced.

I don't know where you get your info, but the i5 is a hell of a lot "faster" than the Bulldozer.

In general, bulldozer isn't bad, but it was over-hyped and was a let down. For now, Intel is ahead.

Face it, Bullzoder is pretty bad. "In some cases, it trails behind Phenom". Intel is so far ahead now, it's not even funny.

Face it, Bullzoder is pretty bad. "In some cases, it trails behind Phenom". Intel is so far ahead now, it's not even funny.

Bulldozer is pretty dissappointing. AMD does have a bit of catching up to do. I hope that the fix for bulldozer universally improves all bulldozer systems.
AMD needs to improve it's processing performance, otherwise Intel will not have any competiton...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom