Looking on upgrading RAM...or maybe something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryne

Solid State Member
What I have now....
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9D G

What I'm looking at...
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R

How's this upgrade? Another other RAM ideas? Will be using for all sorts of games(WoW, crysis, assassin's creed, MW3, Civ 5... also do programming and have multiple windows open and tasks going on)
Thanks!

Want 8gb for sure, prefer Corsair (maybe G Skill), will be replacing the original not adding on, usage sometimes goes up to around 80% when playing games and such.

Other parts id consider upgrading maybe are the GPU or CPU..

Have....
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Would upgrading one of these give better performance then RAM? Would upgrade to a quad core CPU most likely, and if GPU most likely get another 6870 and crossfire.
Looking for some suggestions and opinions.

Mobo is...
Newegg.com - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Thanks!

oops just say posted this in new systems not upgrading, not sure how to move it...

what are your current system specs? Generally if you are gaming, the gpu is the best thing to upgrade.

the rams that you picked out are large and will generally make aftermarket cpu coolers hard to use. I think there is consensus that ram is ram. get something 'nicer' if its just as much as the value ram.

+1 on smaller heatspreaders.

And that Corsair is "CAS7", but really 7-8-8-24.
I'd consider G.Skill Ripjaws X, Crucial Ballistix, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline.
They're all 8GB 1600MHz / 8-8-8-24, 1.5v, and quality RAM companies.

+1 on upgrading the GPU.
Although you'll only see noticeable improvement from a GTX 560Ti 448 Core or HD 6970 (or higher).
Not sure if you're willing to drop ~$300-$350 on a new GPU.

Overclocking may also give you a boost.
A cheap aftermarket cooler like the Corsair CAFA70 or CM Hyper 212 Evo should keep your CPU cool.

And that Corsair is "CAS7", but really 7-8-8-24.
I'd consider G.Skill Ripjaws X
They're all 8GB 1600MHz / 8-8-8-24, 1.5v, and quality RAM companies.

+1 on upgrading the GPU.
Although you'll only see noticeable improvement from a GTX 560Ti 448 Core or HD 6970 (or higher).
Not sure if you're willing to drop ~$300-$350 on a new GPU.

Not sure what you mean by "CAS 7" but really 7-8-8-24...that's what it says in the details, could you explain a little more? And the Corsair RAM is on sale for the same price as the G.Skill ones which have CAS 8 (not 100% sure but isn't lower better?)

GPU - Yeah don't have 300-350 for a new one but if I did upgrade was thinking crossfire with another 6870, or are you saying that wouldn't be that much of an increase? I thought crossfire 2 cards was actually pretty good?

I have never tried over clocking and am a little nervous about how to do it, don't want to break anything :\ lol....but sounds like CPU is good enough to not replace?

Thanks!

I need to get better about bookmarking articles/forum posts I read.

I've been hunting around and can't seem to find it, but there were some people having issues with off-set timings.
That being said, there are a lot of companies that do sell them (if the timings are accurate), so it can't be that big of an issue.

Crossfire is certainly an option, just make sure you have a 700W or higher power supply to handle the extra power consumption.
I would check benchmarks/forums of the games that are running slow for you to make sure they support crossfire, otherwise its a waste.

Yeah that CPU is fine for the time being.

Hmm ok, I'd rather not deal with RMA's and such so maybe ill just go with RAM is the same timings. Is there going to be even a noticable difference between the CAS 7 and CAS 8? Also isn't have those nice heatspreaders good? Will i have to worry about over heating with the others?

Good point with checking the different games to make sure its supported/ improves....I have a nice PSU so should be fine there.

Also, I do just have the stock CPU cooler on it, should i maybe think about getting a nicer one even without overclocking?

Thanks!

The difference is going to be something like 1.25 nano seconds faster. Real-world performance shouldn't show much of an impact.

If you aren't overclocking then there is no need for an aftermarket heatsink for the CPU or nicer heatspreaders for the RAM, but if it makes you sleep better at night know they're there then there is no downside to having them either.

Alright! That helps a lot in making a decision. Thanks so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom