New video card fan not running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahlia13

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I recently (attempted to) replace my old graphics card, as the fans stopped working and I figured I'd get a quick, cheap upgrade in the meantime until I'm ready to purchase the parts for my first build. My current system is a HP Pavilion Elite m9340f Desktop PC and if you haven't heard before, the stock graphics card was already crap and I was eligible and did participate in the replacement program...well here I am replacing it yet again out of my own pocket this time... I got a EVGA GT 240, put it in and checked my temperatures...it got up to a ridiculous 106+ C before my computer overheated and restarted. Looked inside, found the fans not working. Tried to use the EVGA precision software and got nothing. ARGH!!

I have tried to figure out what's going on, maybe it's something simple I am overlooking, but I am not sure what exactly to check for...it fit into the mobo, and I don't THINK it needs to be plugged into the psu or mobo?? I tried but it didn't seem to fit, so I assumed it was unecessary, and a video on youtube also did not plug it into any power source...Drivers installed as well. What did I forget or is something else going on?

Is it the graphics card that hit 106 or the CPU?

I didn't see any power connections on the card.

For that slim one, no. But it still has to use power from the motherboard. That could still be the PSU not supplying enough power.

It is definitely the GPU hitting 90-105+, and this is at idle... :/ For some reason, the fan on the card is not running. I read that the minimum requirement to run the card was 300W and the current stock PSU is 350W and supposedly the card is even rumored to run fine on around 250. Is the card just faulty or is it indeed the PSU (does that have anything to do with the GPU fan)?

I think it may be defective as well. :/ I have tried reseating it, updating drivers with clean installation, checking BIOS, etc and cannot come up with any other solution. I just thought it was too much of a horrible coincidence that both card fans were not working. Luckily my old card, despite the fan not working doesn't seem to overheat to the point of shutting down my computer for now (as long as I don't do anything too graphics intensive)...

I am actually going to experiment once more and try to see if my sister's card works or if it also does not run the fan. Hopefully it is not the latter problem as I need a working card for digital illustrating and designing lol. Otherwise, I guess I am looking to build a new computer much sooner than I thought! :p

The psu remember has to run the whole system, not just the gpu. So there could still be issues in regard to a power supply under feeding the card. However, it may still be a defective unit.

The psu remember has to run the whole system, not just the gpu. So there could still be issues in regard to a power supply under feeding the card. However, it may still be a defective unit.

Thank you, Skip. It is indeed difficult to say what is at fault. It's hard to tell if it's the gpu(s), the mobo, or in fact the PSU...I find it oddly coincidential that two GPU fans do not run. I couldn't test the third GPU as it was a double socket monster so I may just be looking at a new system shortly. :lol:

Make sure the auxiliary power is connected to your motherboard. This would be the 4-pin or 8-pin connector that plugs directly into your motherboard and not a part of the 20-pin or 24-pin motherboard connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom