Feedback For New Build (And Builder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Residue

Baseband Member
I've never actually built a custom pc before. This will be the first and I would like any (constructive) feedback that anyone has to offer me. Honestly, I am doing this just because I want to do it. My current computer works great, I just really wanted to build one. Here's what I'm looking at:

Case - $240 (Thermaltake Level 10 GT)
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm rear fan

Processor - $370 (Intel Core i7-2700K)
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623i72700K

RAM - $47 (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Motherboard - $220 (Intel BOXDZ68BC LGA 1155)
Newegg.com - Intel BOXDZ68BC LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Cooler - $49.99 (COOLER MASTER V8)
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

PSU - $90 (OCZ ZS Series 650W)
Newegg.com - OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

I also have a blu-ray burner, two hdds, one ssd, and a graphics card. I already have those at home and don't have the specs from them. If anyone with computer building knowledge could review this and inform me of any anomalies or suggestions that would be awesome. Again, never built a computer before, but I have been inside of them for basic graphics card and hard drive upgrades. Thanks!

that case.... sucks, man. i was trying to think of a better way to word it, but it plain sucks. try to find another case you like.

you dont need a 2700k, get a 2600k, or even a 2500k. the only difference between the 26&2700k to the 2500K is that they have hyper threading, and that is for things like video editing/encoding, if you arent going to be doing those things a 2500k is built just for you my friend ;)

dont get the V8, get the Corsair A70, its better and cheaper.

i wish you could tell me what graphics card you have so i could tell you if the powersupply is going to be enough to run it.

What is this build for?
Gaming? Video and image creation? Web browsing?
What graphics card do you have? If it's a high end one then you may need more power.

If you plan on using this build for gaming, then get the i5 2500k. If you use programs such as Photoshop and video editing programs then the i7 will help with rendering times.
I personally don't like the Thermaltake level 10. The design is decent, but the price tag is too high. I would rather have a cheaper $60-$120 case and pocket the rest, or spend it on higher performance parts.

Edit: Sean...
I hate ninjas. :silly:

Lol, I am seriously just building this because I wanted to build something that I could call "whip-ass". That's all there is too it. I might do some gaming on it, but I just like computers and I think it'd be awesome to build something that's hella sweet. I might even build it just so I can re-sell it. That said, what's wrong with the case? It looked like that case was great for space and airflow.

Graphics Card - Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX550TXPB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Should I upgrade the card?

Lol, I am seriously just building this because I wanted to build something that I could call "whip-ass". That's all there is too it. I might do some gaming on it, but I just like computers and I think it'd be awesome to build something that's hella sweet. I might even build it just so I can re-sell it. That said, what's wrong with the case? It looked like that case was great for space and airflow.

Graphics Card - Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX550TXPB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

If you want a "whip ass" computer, yes, definitely upgrade that GPU. A 560ti 448 core is pretty kick ass :thumbsup:

Upgrading the card is up to you. If you play games and your 550 cannot max them, or if you desire higher video settings, then I say you would benefit from a upgraded video card.
If you do not do any video or image editing, then get the i5.

I may end up getting the game Skyrim.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Looking at those three graphics cards which would be the best for that game?

Thanks MindoverMaster for the suggestion. I'll check those out. And as far as the i5 CPU, would you guys agree on the i5-2500K?
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

I really appreciate the feedback. That's why I came here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom