HD7000 Series--Best Card for Overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
As the title says... I've got two HD5970s that are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I've got a water-cooling setup, so I'm wanting something to overclock the bejesus out of. If I go with the HD7000 series (I believe that is the most current model), what is the best one for overclocking?

As an aside... I must admit I haven't been that happy with ATI's drivers lately. Anyone got an opinion on whether I should quit them and go to GeForce?

I'm talking more about manufacturers... it seems like some of them make you do backflips to OC their cards, while some make it easy.

I'm talking more about manufacturers... it seems like some of them make you do backflips to OC their cards, while some make it easy.
Thought everyone just used MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision to OC and it was just a matter of how good the cooler was (and the silicon lottery) that determined how high you could go.

Thought everyone just used MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision to OC and it was just a matter of how good the cooler was (and the silicon lottery) that determined how high you could go.

You might be right... I'm not an expert, as I've only overclocked my HD5970s. However, I do use MSI Afterburner, and there were a lot of people with HD5970s who said they were able to use it to get their voltage past 1.3V; even after unlocking the unnofficial voltage levels in the configuration files, I could never get MSI to show anything on the slider above 1.3V; my temperatures under watercooling were really low at 1.29V, so I had lot of room to go. My assumption was that it must have been something hardwired into the card by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom