Intel 2nd Gen i5 vs AMD A8 Quad-Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkza47

Solid State Member
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both?

Been awhile since I last bought a laptop and I'm buying one this weekend.

Thanks!

Well, did you have any specific models in mind? Personally, I would go with the i5, though if you can wait a little while, Ivy Bridge should be out soon. The thing about the AMD 8 core: It's useless, unless you're running heavily multi-threaded apps, which since this is a laptop I'm assuming you won't be. It's actually had a lot of software issues, too. Not to mention, the i5's outperform most of the A8's. All of the Sandy Bridges (the second gen Core i series) are great chips. Could you post links to laptops you're looking at, and a budget?

Well, did you have any specific models in mind? Personally, I would go with the i5, though if you can wait a little while, Ivy Bridge should be out soon. The thing about the AMD 8 core: It's useless, unless you're running heavily multi-threaded apps, which since this is a laptop I'm assuming you won't be. It's actually had a lot of software issues, too. Not to mention, the i5's outperform most of the A8's. All of the Sandy Bridges (the second gen Core i series) are great chips. Could you post links to laptops you're looking at, and a budget?

Here are the laptops I've been eyeing on.

FRYS.com*|*LENOVO
FRYS.com*|*DELL
FRYS.com*|*LENOVO
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420 1141 A24 Laptop Computer With 14 LED Backlit Screen 2nd Gen Intel Core i5 2410M With Turbo Boost 20 by Office Depot
Lenovo - IdeaPad Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 15.6" Display / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Silver Gray - V570-1066AJU

I would wait for the new technology to come out but I have a limited budget and I know that they'd come out as high-priced as usual. I just want a laptop that is long lasting, decent-good for gaming, and also good for college.

Most the laptops I researched were mostly Lenovo since I heard that they are next to Apple. But I'm also open into buying a different brand but I just really haven't seen anything good.

However, if you have any suggestions, or have any laptops that you know might suit my wants and budget, please do let me know.

Here are the laptops I've been eyeing on.

FRYS.com*|*LENOVO
FRYS.com*|*DELL
FRYS.com*|*LENOVO
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420 1141 A24 Laptop Computer With 14 LED Backlit Screen 2nd Gen Intel Core i5 2410M With Turbo Boost 20 by Office Depot
Lenovo - IdeaPad Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 15.6" Display / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Silver Gray - V570-1066AJU

I would wait for the new technology to come out but I have a limited budget and I know that they'd come out as high-priced as usual. I just want a laptop that is long lasting, decent-good for gaming, and also good for college.

Most the laptops I researched were mostly Lenovo since I heard that they are next to Apple. But I'm also open into buying a different brand but I just really haven't seen anything good.

However, if you have any suggestions, or have any laptops that you know might suit my wants and budget, please do let me know.

Well, all of the laptops you listed have integrated graphics, meaning they won't be playing any new games. I don't really know about the Lenovo being next to Apple thing, but they do make good PCs. I wouldn't use Apple as your "role model" though, with your wants and budgets. They aren't really the best computers out there, despite what their fans will tell you. They are way too constricted, and overpriced by about 90% what they should be. You pay for the name. Well, the fruit. Can I have your exact budget, that way we can find something that fits your needs. Also, where do you live, and are you planning to buy online?

Well, all of the laptops you listed have integrated graphics, meaning they won't be playing any new games. I don't really know about the Lenovo being next to Apple thing, but they do make good PCs. I wouldn't use Apple as your "role model" though, with your wants and budgets. They aren't really the best computers out there, despite what their fans will tell you. They are way too constricted, and overpriced by about 90% what they should be. You pay for the name. Well, the fruit. Can I have your exact budget, that way we can find something that fits your needs. Also, where do you live, and are you planning to buy online?

Budget is 500-600. And im not really planning on playing hardcore games like wow or anything like that. Just rts games like lol and dota and possibly diablo 3. Id like to buy it in store but online wouldn't hurt. What brand would you suggest?

That's a pretty good notebook, and it has a dedicated GPU. Just find out what Lenovos replacement/return policy is before you buy a refurb from them.

Well the one I actually linked is brand new in their Outlet store so yeah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom