You Have $1,000. Build a better gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wishlist is private. You will have to make it public before we can see it. ;)

I'd go for the CM Hyper 212 Plus or Corsair CAFA70, either will let you OC to the mid-4.0GHz range at lower cost.

Considering that its a gaming build I would take what balance you have under $1,000 and put it into a GTX 560Ti or HD6950.

Hey thanks for your input everyone. I've updated the ram to the one suggested and also cut the extra case fan. Is it worth the extra investment to get the 560ti or the 6950? They're much more expensive than the card I had picked.

Hey thanks for your input everyone. I've updated the ram to the one suggested and also cut the extra case fan. Is it worth the extra investment to get the 560ti or the 6950? They're much more expensive than the card I had picked.

More often than not, the GPU tends to be the limiting factor for what a PC can do. 10 years ago, it wasn't as important. Over the years, however, graphics have become more and more intensive as can be seen by the substantial increase in Video RAM in today's GPU's.

The short answer is a definite YES. The extra graphical power is always what separates the mid grade systems from the high end ones. If you want your system to be high performance for as long as possible, you should get the best GPU you can afford.

-Draco

Over the years, however, graphics have become more and more intensive as can be seen by the substantial increase in Video RAM in today's GPU's.

gpu's having more ram on them is marketing gimmicks more often than not. graphics have been less important as of late because most games are just console ports. graphics used to be the limiting factor on games. now even my 4870 can play most games at mid resolution with good graphics, but to get that last 10% of eye candy requires a much more powerful card.

@op id go with the 6950 if i could. for gaming, you'll want to put your money on the gpu before you go more than 'enough' on the other components.

gpu's having more ram on them is marketing gimmicks more often than not.

Hardly. The extra video ram is useful for higher resolutions and loading more detailed content on the screen. Video RAM has become more important in the past years due to the increase of screen resolution and the introduction of HD. Many gamers today use a screen that is at least 1080, some use even higher. The video memory (1Gb+) becomes especially useful to those users using screens which support a resolution around or above 1080.

as per the qualifier, more often than not. what do most people have? 1920x1080? how many people have 4 displays that could actually utilize the memory of a EXTREME BLACK OPS FATAL!T7 SUPER OVERCLOCKED 8GB amd nvidia XXXX? bandwidth is the limiting factor much more often than quanitity.

take what im using. how many fps better do you get on games between the 512 Mb 4870 and the 2 Gb 4870 on 2560x1600 or more? excluding the latest of games, you can probably count on one hand if any. change my quote to "gpu's having more than 1 Gb ram on them is marketing gimmicks more often than not."

as for what i was originally picking at, years and years ago the ram on the card was 90% of what the card could display; very important. slaymate or paton... some mod with over 9k posts, tell me im wrong?

anyways, whats this about, a $1000 computer build?

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Newegg.com - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

$1,005 but with $35 in MIR

the card is huge, so it might be a tight fit in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom