PS3/Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutt4xtreme

Beta member
I tought that this was a good idea. Basically, take a PS3 shell and modify it so it can hold a desktop motherboard or a server motherboard. And then put a video card in it and some RAM and the power supply. And you know how the top of the PS3 is curved, I would cut the some of the top off and put a screen in it like a laptop. So, this computer would be very protable have enough power to play the best games and ot it could be a protable server and be ran anywhere. Please comment wheather this is a good idea or not. And you can post what you think should also be added.

To me it would take too much man hours to make it and modify and you will never know if it would work, Plus it would overheat to easily during hardcore gaming. You might as well just buy a laptop >.<

In my head it sounds awesome, execution is another thing.

You could likely fit a micro ATX motherboard in there, CPU and RAM would be no problem.
The GPU might be a headache though, and not sure that there is enough room for a PSU.

I'd say measure the case (inside and out) and draw up some diagrams, would be a really cool project.

What i could do is try to find a VERY low profile video card with at least 1GB memory. And for the PSU I could turn it into a power brick and have a plug and play setup for it, turning all those cords into a single cable. Which will require alot of wiring.

Best case scenario here is a mini-ITX rig with a low profile GTS450 in it. You can put an SSD in there somewhere and modify an Xbox 360 power brick to hold a small but powerful PSU made to run in mini-ITX system.
I have personally thought about doing this with an NES case which is why I have some ideas behind it. Problem is, that power brick would need to be stationary to the case itself and run extensions to the components inside. Since I have never seen with my own eyes the insides of a PS3 I can't help with exactly how you would do this, or keep the thing cool.

Edit: It appears Newegg doesn't carry the LP 450 but they do have this.
Newegg.com - HIS H667FN1G Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Edit2: Another idea would be to mount a full size single slot card inside horizontal like the motherboard using a PCI-E extender.

Best case scenario here is a mini-ITX rig with a low profile GTS450 in it. You can put an SSD in there somewhere and modify an Xbox 360 power brick to hold a small but powerful PSU made to run in mini-ITX system.
I have personally thought about doing this with an NES case which is why I have some ideas behind it. Problem is, that power brick would need to be stationary to the case itself and run extensions to the components inside. Since I have never seen with my own eyes the insides of a PS3 I can't help with exactly how you would do this, or keep the thing cool.

Edit: It appears Newegg doesn't carry the LP 450 but they do have this.
Newegg.com - HIS H667FN1G Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Edit2: Another idea would be to mount a full size single slot card inside horizontal like the motherboard using a PCI-E extender.

Mguire, your idea is quite achievable, a friend of mine on another board I visit was doing the same thing.
Instead he used a core i7 1156 cpu and mobo to run everything, I did not find out what happen before he completed it.
Also you need to make very sure that the psu you get is under 400 watts and compact enough to fit inside of it.
Newegg.com - Athena Power AP-MTFX30 300W TFX12V Power Supply for many HP Slimline System Upgrades/Replacement - Power Supplies
Me and him both were debating his idea and both got into a heated argument of what that little nes could handle.

For that ps3 idea I'm all for it, find a good site and guide to follow and draw up your blue brints before atttempting this.
Been staring at a celeron wolfdalelga 775 for a long time, and was wondering if a panasonic game cube case would do it for now for a little mini media box. ;)

Mguire, your idea is quite achievable, a friend of mine on another board I visit was doing the same thing.
Instead he used a core i7 1156 cpu and mobo to run everything, I did not find out what happen before he completed it.
Also you need to make very sure that the psu you get is under 400 watts and compact enough to fit inside of it.
Newegg.com - Athena Power AP-MTFX30 300W TFX12V Power Supply for many HP Slimline System Upgrades/Replacement - Power Supplies
Me and him both were debating his idea and both got into a heated argument of what that little nes could handle.

For that ps3 idea I'm all for it, find a good site and guide to follow and draw up your blue brints before atttempting this.
Been staring at a celeron wolfdalelga 775 for a long time, and was wondering if a panasonic game cube case would do it for now for a little mini media box. ;)
I would rather have the PSU be external for my room for cooling on the inside of the NES. I was also considering doing this with a 360 but it has to many holes in the plastic casing that can't be covered up easily. And I know it's doable, I've seen it done in person and have put considerable thought into it lol. The only reason I haven't done it yet is due to lack of funds.

That is single slot, not low profile. BUT like I said with a pci-e extender cable it could be possible with an itx rig in the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom