New Linux Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

viviffx

Baseband Member
LINUX BUILD​

Hello everyone I am back!

First of all thanx again for the help on building my first Gaming Rig last year!

I Started College last year, and I decided I want to build another PC. This time around I need a Linux based PC, I plan on running UBUNTU on this one. I will be programming 90% of the time on the new PC, and about 10% internet browsing. The question is I would like to spend 200-300$ on this.

Here is the gear I have:

Here is the stuff I need to Buy:

• Motherboard
  • Processor
  • Ram
  • Power supply
  • Sound Card(Do I need one?)
  • Video Card(Do I need one?)
  • Heat Sync(Do I need one?)

I looked online at setups, everything I found was builds for 200$, but once I started gathering parts it was 300-400$. Is it even possible to make a Linus Based PC for 200ish$ anymore?

Besides UBUNTU, are there any other programs out there that would help me as a beginner programmer? I am using Python, and C++ at the moment.

I think this is a good place to start, If there is more information that people need, let me know. I am hoping there is someone out there that might be able to get me started on this!

Viviffx

Well I think I want to go with this build it has a perfect price! Only Question is are all the parts compatible? If so Ill have to order this up tonight!

Thanx everyone for the help so far!

Made by Kmote!

Best I could do is $236.95
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive comes with a free DVD burner Newegg.com - MSI 24X DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DH-24AS
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR N68S3+ AM3 NVIDIA MCP68S Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
Newegg.com - Rendition by Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model RM51264BA1339
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Dreamer ATXB3KLW/350W Beige Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 350W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply

Or is there a tower with power supply out there in the 50$ range since I just remembered one of the fans being out on this old one.......

P.s. I don't care what it really looks like!

Thanx again Everyone

If you didn't know, you can get some Microsoft products for free as a student (all you need is a .edu email): https://www.dreamspark.com/Default.aspx
You can get Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional (if you're running off Windows).

Also, instead of buying another computer, you can just shrink your Windows (assuming its Windows) partition on your current computer, partition it, and install Ubuntu on a second partition (dual booting). I did this a couple months ago; works great.

Also, you should check out openSUSE and Linux Mint (unless you're set on Ubuntu). :) Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu (if I remember correctly it uses the same packages/repositories as well) and I think it actually looks/works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom