Question about swapping video cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diplowmatt

Beta member
Hey new here, just registered!

Quick question!

I have a HP XP8400 workstation. I bought a new video card to replace my Nvidia Quadro fx 1500. I bought the Nvidia Quadro fx 4600. Weighs significantly more, but the pin connectors are the same. So I take out the 1500 and install the 4600. Pop the case back on, plug the cord back in, etc etc. Hit the power button and I hear a shrieking beep. One long beep and 6 short beeps. I looked up online and it said one long beep and 8 short beeps means a video card failure and to make sure it's installed properly. Thought that was weird, so I take the case back off and recheck everything, and seems to be connected properly. My question is: Is it a power supply issue? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Try resetting your Video card. Also, did you remember the 6-pin pci-e power cord? Make sure it is pushed in all the way.

2 things.. What is your power supply size? The 4600 draws more than twice the 1500.

Also the 4600 requires a 6 pin pci-e power cable, the 1500 didn't.

So basically, you don't have the card powered. You may need a new psu, but you will need a pci-e cable off the psu or as a molex adapter.

Try resetting your Video card. Also, did you remember the 6-pin pci-e power cord? Make sure it is pushed in all the way.

Hm, completely overlooked that...kind of a novice. I don't want to pull the wrong thing out...

Also, it's an 800w power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom