NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M - Gimped up version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Okay I'm a bit confused here. From what I read, the 560M should have 3GB of video memory and 192bit. I'm aware that some laptops have gimped up versions but I'm still a bit confused.

This laptop states 192bit and only 1.5GB of video memory.
Newegg.com - MSI GT683R-242US Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 12GB Memory 1TB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

This laptop states 128bit and only 2GB of video memory.
Newegg.com - ASUS G53SX-NH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 7200rpm DL DVD±RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

How does this work out? Which performs better? My guess is the 192bit but why is the memory cut in half? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Read post 3! Thanks!

It all depends on how many memory chips they soldered to the board. It's not like graphics cards that has to be a set standard.

It all depends on how many memory chips they soldered to the board. It's not like graphics cards that has to be a set standard.
Alright, after a little more research it sounds like 192bit is far better than 128bit. Seems like most games won't even come close to 1.5gb anyways. Now I'm stuck between a few factors... What do you guys think?

Considering price for the MSI, I can sell 1 of the 500GB hard drives for $30-$40 and will save another $20 on 4GB of ram vs buying it later to match the ASUS. So they're pretty equal in price. I have an SSD and won't be using RAID. The slightly slower processor is a bummer but the convenience of everything else may be persuasive enough for me. On the other hand, ASUS had an LED lit screen (I assume MSI isn't because it isn't mentioned), a slightly faster processor and is known to be more reliable.

MSI - Price $1250
i7 2.00 GHz - Slightly Worse
NVIDIA 560M 192bit - Slightly Better
2*500GB Hard drives - Slightly Better
12GB of RAM - Slightly Better
RAID Supported - Slightly Better - But won't be used
Extra USB 3.0 Port - Slightly Better

ASUS - Price $1200
i7 2.20 GHz - Slightly Better
NVIDIA 560M 128bit - Slightly Worse
8GB RAM - Slightly Worse
500GB of Hard Drive - Slightly Worse
No RAID - Slightly Worse
LED Backlight - Slightly Better

What do you guys think? Any recommendations or something I'm skipping over?

Good thing you made it "slightly". :lol:

The 2x 500GB is quite a perk, but no doubt that computer will get hot, and quick, while playing games.

If you aren't going to use RAID, ever, what good is it?

You can always update the RAM. At quite a cheap price atm.

I'm not sure, but I do not think 128/192 makes that much of a difference.

Good thing you made it "slightly". :lol:

The 2x 500GB is quite a perk, but no doubt that computer will get hot, and quick, while playing games.

If you aren't going to use RAID, ever, what good is it?

You can always update the RAM. At quite a cheap price atm.

I'm not sure, but I do not think 128/192 makes that much of a difference.
I just purchased a 120GB Corsair Force Series GT to occupy the second drive in either computer. That's why I don't care so much for raid. Everything I read about raid 0 SSD's seems to point to it not being worth it. And I agree that RAM really is dirt cheap. If you wait for the right deal, you can snatch 8gigs for $30. So overall it seems like I'm weighing between the the small perks like an extra usb 3.0, extra esata, annoyance of a rebate, backlit keyboard, led screen, etc...

As of now I'm weighing towards the MSI since it has most of those perks. Decisions decisions...!

I agree, SSD and RAID are a waste of a headache.

Hey, if you are leaning for the MSI, go ahead. It has some of the perks you'd want, and other of you'll never use. But they rather outweigh each other.

BTW, this is an ASUS fanboy saying this. :p Whatever makes you happy. ;)

MSi has led backlit screen.
MSI Notebook Official Website

if you are gaming always go for better gpu.

how did you find out the Asus has gimped version of the GTX 560M?
it's usually only the best buy models that have the gimped version. best buy model usually ends in BBK

That would be called "trigger happy" :lol:

Yeah, too bad the 49ers lost. After the Giants defeated us, the Packers, I hated them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom