New to overclocking, in need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengjo

Baseband Member
What should I overclock to improve performance in games (graphics)?

I guess some basic info is in place?
8 GB Ram
GeForce 570 GFX
Intel i5-2500k 3.30GHz CPU

System running pretty cool (I think?) right now (CPU: 30C idle, 40C with BF3 on MAX --- GFX: 30C idle, 60C with BF3 on MAX)

So I'm an absolute complete noob when it comes to this (among other things PC related).
Do I download some kind of software to overclock?

I know there are guides out there, but with all this AMD, ASUS, Intel and such, I get lost because I don't really know which guides are for me. So maybe you could suggest some good ones, that actually fit my hardware?

And also, any basic tips are appreciated!

Also, explaining things like "Sandy Bridge" so that I know what it is would be awesome!

Did you end up buying a CPU cooler and fans for your case?

It should be noted you're using the MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3), BIOS options can be board specific.
I've been looking for a general use overclocking guide for the i5 2500K, and the only one I've found is apparently faulty.
Will keep hunting, or maybe someone else will be able to post up something for your board.

Sandy Bridge is a codename for a microarchitecture made by Intel beginning in 2005 for CPU in computers. It's like replacings Nehl... something I don't remember.

Did you end up buying a CPU cooler and fans for your case?

It should be noted you're using the MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3), BIOS options can be board specific.
I've been looking for a general use overclocking guide for the i5 2500K, and the only one I've found is apparently faulty.
Will keep hunting, or maybe someone else will be able to post up something for your board.

Yeah, I bought the Noctua NH-U12P and 4 fans.

Should I stop overclocking when I don't need my CPU OC'd? Or can I leave it on? It's running at 27-30C both overclocked and not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom