clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnotu

In Runtime
I have a HP Pavillion DV7-3165dx which did not come with any installation disk. So my question is, How do I do a clean install of Win7 Home Premium without the disk? I do have the Best Buy "Geek" disk but I took alook at them and all I see is a bunch of files with no read me file or any application or command files. This laptop is several years old and has been outa warranty for awhile.
The reason I want to do this is because this thing is so sloooow. I have already cleaned out all the normal stuff but even off the net, say to open 'downloads' or something it takes forever. Something is there or not there to make this thing do this and I want it to have a fresh start.

borrow or download a copy.
are you using windows 7 on your desktop? how'd you install windows without a disk?
if you used a disk with your desktop, use that copy. just use the key attached on your laptop.

Thanks. I understand using the disk from my desktop but what is the 'key' attached to my laptop?

OH! Ok u mean the key on my Microsoft tag on it. The OA. Ok gotcha.

But how could I have done a clean install without my disk that I bought for my DeskTop? I was wary of buying the laptop without it. Does it matter if the disk I have is an upgrade?

without your own copy, you can't do a clean install. even if HP had provided you with a disk, it would have the same bloatware that was on your laptop. that's just the way it is.

upgrade disk - i don't know.

You could buy a ssd and buy a new version of windows.... that's a bit expensive though..or just make it s Linux laptop :)

without your own copy, you can't do a clean install. even if HP had provided you with a disk, it would have the same bloatware that was on your laptop. that's just the way it is.

upgrade disk - i don't know.

It worked but I am still uploading driver updates. Then next micro updates. Gonna take awhile with my slow internet speed. And I understand about the bloatware. Most all of that I do not need. Any I do I can get it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom