Upgrading to 1155/i7 2600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retail now so there'll be no problems with OEM BS but it should be noted in that original build without wiping the HDD i was able to use the same copy of windows on the new PC.

I am ready to order these parts now but I've got one last question before I press the big shiny "place your order" button... Would I be better off with an i7 2700K rather than 2600? I want to tinker at some point with overclocking and from what I've read the 2700 is a better OC'ing CPU than the 2600 (though they are actually the same... 2700s are just cherrypicked 2600s, according to what I read).

It's an extra £20 for a guarantee of being able to reach good OC's, no?

EDIT: When I say guarantee I mean a guarantee that with the appropriate components the CPU will make it, I know this isn't guaranteed with my setup.

I just thought that I may have been a bit "vague" when saying that. As always.. OC'ing is never a guarantee.

No idea, I ordered the 2600K+Mobo though so it'll be hear hopefully Saturday but maybe Monday. Could even be here today.

I'll overclock when I actually have a good grasp of what I'm doing ^^ :p

My board has arrived but Amazon seem to be pricking around with the processor, for some reason it has apparently went from Milton Keynes (nearby London) to Grimbergen in Belgium, next to the port of Antwerp (south of it). I am kind of confused... it's SUPPOSED to be delivered today but I am pretty sure they're going to fail on it.... which will leave me pretty ****ed off.

Question: Since I already have an ASUS board and as a result risers installed in the case do i need to install the ones that came with the Z68 since they will most likely be the same?

Question: Since I already have an ASUS board and as a result risers installed in the case do i need to install the ones that came with the Z68 since they will most likely be the same?

No reason to change them unless it's a different mobo size.. ie. ATX, Micro ATX etc...

Well.. to say the least this build was a troublesome one! Somewhere along the lines I ended up using the wrong screws and chewed up two of my riser's (one beyond repair) so there's a riser not being used...

Then when I got it assembled after doing some cable management (originally never bothered) I wasn't getting a display on my LCD... so I tried both onboard and graphics card ... but i didn't try BOTH PORTS on the graphics card, did I? That was a facepalm and a half I'll tell you. For whatever reason this thing enjoys beeping once (short beep) every time I boot it... which is irritating and irrelevant. The manual says that the short beep indicates VGA being detected, no keyboard or quick boot disabled, whatever that means (how do i enable it for future reference? xD)

Next up was trying to load up windows... haha BSOD thank you very much. I've ended up doing a fresh install on my secondary HDD and I'm porting over everything from the primary, this raises my next question... is there any way to replicate the exact same setup as i had on the other disc? I'm copy/pasting the entire HDD to my new installation but I imagine this is going to be unsuccessful, right? ^^

Any way.. thanks guys for helping me pull the trigger on this one, thing's lightning fast. Used to take a whiley to change from basic theme to aero but it does it in literally less than 5 seconds which boggles my mind!

Cheers,

- Joppsta

The short beep is saying that the computer is running fine, I would think that you just have the internal speaker plugged in somewhere. If you hate it that much you could just unplug it.
And yea sounds like you have stuffed some stuff along the way. A proper way would be to uninstall and reinstall the whole pc one bit at a time reading each manual.
Then clean install windows on a freshly formatted hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom