Why do games like Far Cry crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chziime

Baseband Member
I've been getting some crashes in Far Cry that make it impossible to beat this one level, so I think it may be a cooling problem. I have:

6800 Ultra with some unofficial drivers (soon to be changed to nvidia ones)
Asus socket 939 motherboard
3500+ CPU with a thermaltake HSF
Lian-Li v1000 case (2 built in fans; NO EXTRA FANS CAN BE ADDED)
Audigy 2 soundcard
ALL LATEST DRIVERS
Cool+quiet on
COMPUTER WAS PREBUILT ONLINE FROM WEBSITE

On 1600x1200, at this one area it would always just have all of these weird colors of screen, and I'd have to force shut it down. In CoD with the same resoltion, the same weird-color-lines things happened after some explosion. When I turned Far Cry down to 1024x768, it didn't crash at this one area, but later on, it froze periodically until it would just freeze for good and I'd have to force shutdown. I can't replace any computer parts or anything really. I've heard from someone else that he plays Far Cry with an AMD processor at like 80 degrees C and he's fine. So is this a cooling problem or not? Should I maybe get the new official NVidia drivers, or is it a problem with my motherboard?

Don't make me do anything that may mess up my computer like opening the case up and replacing parts. I can't do that. If I really have to, I can maybe replace a fan.

if you are overclocking your video card you should let off a little. if you aren't then you should install the real nVidia drivers. let us know how it turns out. if that doesnt work you should reinstall Far Cry.

It's not just Far Cry. It happens on some other games, too. When played Desert Combat in BF1942, this one time the sound of a machine gun was repeating a lot, and then it froze and the sound kept going. Once in CoD after an explosion, it froze and the same weird colored lines came up on the screen as when they did in 1600x1200 Far Cry.

Well it depends what kind of error you get that will tell you why. If it is a page fault, then the system called information from a page of memory that wasn't there. If you system received an illegal operation, chances are the program asked the CPU to do something it can't. Such as division by zero...

Updating your systems BIOS can fix some illegal operation problems. This is because of Micro Code updates. The updates load themselves from the BIOS into the CPU at boot. They CPU then uses the patched instruction.

A Micro Code update can only fix that kind of problem if the CPU has a programming bug. If the bug relies in a software program running on the system, you will have to file a bug report with the creator. They will have to fix the problem in their code and release a patch.

chziime said:
It's not just Far Cry. It happens on some other games, too. When played Desert Combat in BF1942, this one time the sound of a machine gun was repeating a lot, and then it froze and the sound kept going. Once in CoD after an explosion, it froze and the same weird colored lines came up on the screen as when they did in 1600x1200 Far Cry.

Does this happen in all of your games?

If you are refering to the new release of dc final, i think there are problems with this update. I was having crashes and other strange things. I wiped my drive and started over, and just had the same problems.

But try taking off the side of your case while you play your games, if you still have the crashes than you know its something else. If it solved it then you know you have to get better air flow in your case.

I solved the heat problem, but I still get freezes in Far Cry and HL2 (high-graphic games). The game just freezes and the sound repeats. It DOESN'T STOP until I force shutdown my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom