Video Card upgrade for a HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblanton35

Solid State Member
I tryed earlyer on this forum to upgrade my computer for a game, but aborted due too complications. Now i find my self at the same error. IM trying to record for a game. The game runs without lag, but when i start recording, the computer lags to the point where i cant even move. Ive heard my video card needs to be upgraded. The computer is HP Pavilion a1013w, the game is Dungeons and Dragons Online. I already now the PCU needs to be upgraded, and that my computer only has 32 bit PCI ports. thanks in advance to any help!

What program are you using to record? Fraps?

If you indeed have onboard graphics, that can hurt you, bad. Also, it says you have 512MB of memory? That may be hurting it as well.

To upgrade your graphics card, you will need a new power supply. I don't think your current one can supply the power needed. Plus you'd want more memory. You say you wanted to update the CPU? You are well better off getting a new system. All the upgrades you need, would cost you about as much as a new one.

A. Im using bandicam
B. I will replace PCU , thats no problem.
C. Cant really replace system, and it wont cost that much, i know.
D. If memory is what is required to record with less lag, then yes i want more memory.

Please read what i said, your not really paying much attention.

For the CPU, I would assume that the following would work.
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5700 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E5700
However, your motherboard specification provider, HP is a bit elusive in the motherboard details. I believe that the processor above will work, but I can't guarantee it.

Upgrading RAM is likely a must. The following should work.
Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR400D2N3K2/2G

You likely need a video card, along with (as mentioned) a better power supply. This is where it gets tricky. Your motherboard only supports PCI. A long dead socket for video cards. This causes the video cards for normal PCI (NOT PCIe) to be expensive and low performing in todays market.
The following video card will likely work, but I'm not entirely sure. I am not very knowledgeable on PCI video cards.
Newegg.com - JATON VIDEO-498PCI-DLP GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Low Profile Ready Video Card

The following power supply should work. Assuming that your case follows ATX standards and does not use proprietary power connections.
Newegg.com - Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply

The total comes to around $240.
I would recommend trying a RAM upgrade first if you decide to upgrade your old system.

Ive talked with other computer geeks, and my cpu isnt the device thats defective. recording abilities rely on the video card. I also understand most about PCI/e ports. RAM isnt a problem either, the RAM has been upgraded, there is over 4GB. RAM in here.

Would help us a lot if you told us what you had. Not just going off by what HP says.

But, if you get a GFX card, you will need a new PSU. Like Ghost posted above.

Ive talked with other computer geeks, and my cpu isnt the device thats defective. recording abilities rely on the video card. I also understand most about PCI/e ports. RAM isnt a problem either, the RAM has been upgraded, there is over 4GB. RAM in here.

yeah. while I agree it is not defective, I cannot agree with recording abilities rely on the video card. your cpu is not defective, it is just not powerful enough.
bandicam does on the fly video compression, and if you know anything about videos, codecs and compression, you know it is a very CPU intensive task.

don't get me wrong, when recording a directX 3d program requires hefty video card power as well. however that's not all there is to it. you can shove the latest and greatest video card in your computer, but if you have a pentium 4 northwood 1 Ghz processor, you won't see any improvements at all, zilch.

EDIT: AFTER taking a look on the HP website for specs on your computer. you are better off getting a new computer, seriously. your upgrade path are very limited, with very little performance gain. you can spend $100 dollars to upgrade that computer and get a small boost. I can spend that same $100 dollars and I can get DOUBLE the performance gain on my computer.

1: MindoverMaster, i ment 4 GB. RAM.

fat.clown, ill admit, i didnt know that about video proccesing, and like to expand my knowlege on the topic. Now bit of back-story... when the problem first arised, i thought the CPU was the problem, but was afraid of replacing it due to...complications. Then i contacted my freind, who sai8d my problem mainly relyed on the video card, and since im still running with the original chip-set, it made since. taking the knowlege here, i hoped to find a desent replacement for the video card.
Another big problem is that i bought a laptop under 2-months ago, and my parents (dont ask) would likely be very upset with me wanting yet another computer, for there were a couple bought before the laptop as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom